Paying for College..

I am so sad..I went to a private liberal arts college for 2 years..and I had every financial aid possible..and still ended up with a $9,000 balance to the school out of pocket!!!! I ended up withdrawing from the school and moving 2000 miles away and now work full-time..I HATE that I can't go back to school. I am no where near able to pay for the tution thats owed and until I do they will not release my transcripts and no school will have me. idk what to do. I am a mom of two boys. and I am stuck working as a cashier for $7.25 an hr. anyone been here? anyone know what to do!

(i have suggested to my loyal boyfriend selling myself or stripping lol *joking*)

AND PLEASE if ur gonna be mean about me having two kids young and such dont bother posting a response thanks!

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 4:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have an almost $8000 school balance :( I had kids young too. I have a 3 yr old and 18 month old and I'm only 22.
    Have you tried to call and see if they can lower your monthly payments? Maybe find a bank and refinance it and see if you can get a lower APR
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Have you looked into the Pell grants?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• That's true, without transcripts you cannot transfer into another school and get any credit for the courses you've already completed.
    And no school will release transcripts unless the education has been paid for.
    If it's important to you, you'll find a way to earn/save to pay those past debts, so that you can go back to school - and at that time, you'll likely also qualify for financial aid or at least student loans.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• What about a community college? You can, at the minimum, take continuing ed classes to pick up some skills for a better paying job. I would start with Microsoft Office (at least Excel and Word), and a couple of bookkeeping classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I know exactly what you're going through. Well, about owing money for college and wanting to return anyway. That is a tough situation to be in. Have you tried appealing the decision. Talk to the financial aid office and see if there is a waiver or something for someone in your situation. I withdrew from grad school mid-semester, when i had some personal issues, and now that I want to start another grad program, I am worried that I'll face the same obstacles. Try the appeal thing and if you hear of anything else, let me know!
    beshka76

Answer by beshka76 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• like I stated I had all the grants i could get from the state..the money I have left over is outta pocket!..

I havent even begun to pay it off because all the money I get paid goes to taking care of my boys..idk..i guess im pretty much screwed lol. I'm trying to figure out someway to atleast pay it off..and No my school will not work with me. I have tried..they are jerks. The best paying job is factory work where i live but i wouldnt pass the physical to get it. Im trying to apply for a loan with my small town bank because then I could pay off my school and get back into school and the bank is easier to work with. but idk if i qualify. anyways thanks!
    SweetPoison

Comment by SweetPoison (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Right now, I don't care that you have two boys (in reference to being mean about you having kids young). What you need to do is do everything in your power to pay down the the tuition. Yeah, it sucks, but you also knew that when you applied to a PRIVATE liberal arts college. A better choice, at the time, would have been a community college where the rates aren't nearly as high. You can try and get a consolidation loan through your bank. The bank pays off your debt and you make payments to your bank instead.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2011