how can I get wax out of my son's ear?

My 8 year old started complaining of an earache a couple of nights ago. When I looked into his ear with a small pen light, I could see what looked like sand. I assumed it was just wax, and thought that he must have an ear infection. A trip to the Dr's showed that I was right, but the wax had hardened. After using softener, then using a fluid filled seringe to try and flush the wax out, it still was no use, the wax was too hard and too far down in the ear to get out. We were sent home with drops and anti biotics to treat what they thought was an infection, but couldn't see it because of the wax.
Soooo,,,the wax is still there, and we are using the drops, but I wonder if anyone else has had this to happen to their kids. Tylenol helps with his pain, and he has no fever, just an earache.

whitmomom

Asked by whitmomom at 5:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Health

• BUMP because I'm having the same problem with my own ear! LOL
    Mrs_Reynolds

Answer by Mrs_Reynolds at 5:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Have you tried mineral oil? My daughter had that happen to her & the Dr took a small tool that I think you can get at Walmart & stripped her ears & then told me to use the mineral oil. You just take a half a capful tip his head to the side & slowing pour it in his ear. It works best in the bathtub cuz then you have to rinse his ear out with warm water. It seemed to work with Caydence. Hope this helps, Good luck!
    perty_kity

Answer by perty_kity at 5:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would ask the doctor to clean them out if they are that bad.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• The doctor should be able to flush out his ears once the wax softens. Ask them about it. My son had it done a couple of times when he was little. Don't put any thing into the ear canal.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Thanks. The Dr's tried as much as they could,but it was so hard that it ended up hurting him.
    I'm trying hot washclothes and having him hold it around his ear. Hopefully, the extra warmth will help melt it on down.
    whitmomom

Comment by whitmomom (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• More effective than a washcloth is soaking in a hot bath... just have him lay back in the tub and tilt his head side to side until his ears are filled with water and the bubbles are out, and stay that way for 5 minutes or so. Repeat regularly...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Try putting a drop of peroxide then with the loopy part of a Bobby pin pull it out...poor baby he must be miserable I hope this works I did this for my little cousin one time...GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Oh and afterwards put a small piece of a cotton ball have him wear it until he feels better.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Try hydrogen peroxide. Just let your son know that it is going to fizz when you put it in. Put a few drops in then some cottonball and give it time to drain.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• What I would probably do instinctively, I do know for sure if this would help, is put him in a bath of as warm as he could stand water and have him lay in it for a few minutes. Make sure any air comes out of his ears. Then, after he sits up and lets some of the water out of his ears very carefully put a dry q-tip in his ears, first just to soak up any excess water. Then, turn the q-tip around to try to rub a little but very gently and carefully to hopefully loosen the wax up. I would probably just keep doing that a few times.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2011