Bedtime trials.

Not only do we have behavioral problems with my DD who is almost 5, but we also have bedtime issues. She hates to sleep and we lay her and her younger sisters down about 9- 9:30 pm. We did this later bedtime due to our work schedules. Anyways her and middle sister share a room. They have for almost two years now. For most part she is keeping middle sister up, but middle sister does go to bed and my oldest will still be playing. We do not have too many toys in there room, we do have some books. We had to switch night lights. The original one we thought was too bright and would solve problem. She just does not go to be. She keeps coming out of room and coming downstairs. We found out even after we go to sleep. She has been known to be up till 2am in morning. Not that we allow this, she just won't sleep she also does not nap. If she does nap it doesn't seem to effect bedtime issues. It also doesn't matter if she has had a busy day outside playing. She claims she has trouble falling asleep. Ideas? I had a cousin tell me once she starts school it will change. But a child of her age should not be up till 12 at night. Some times it is 11 when we find here asleep, not often.

MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She clearly has trouble falling asleep, I don't think there is any 'claim' in it.

I'm not sure what time zone you think 'a child her age should not be awake at X hour' makes any sense in: a child her age needs to sleep. What times she does that at is rather irrelevant, barring outside schedules that demand her alertness at a particular time. It is a contrivance, the idea that there is a 'right' or even 'moral' time to sleep, based on age. It is not impossible that your 5yo is smart enough to have figured that out.

The conditions required to sleep are pretty well established, and if you want more information I'd suggest looking at insomnia recommendations. Bedrooms should be used exclusively for calm, quiet activities --not tv, not punishment, not rowdy play-- to associate the place with safety, security and sleep rather than exploring, fun, punishment or high drama. It really is not possible for most people to sleep afraid.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• About an hour before bedtime turn off the Tv's, turn down the lights....it makes the mind less active. Then give her a warm quiet bath, dress her in warm pj's, and read her some stories in her room while she is in her bed. Give her a snack before the bath like a banana...After the stories tell her you will be back in a few minutes to check on her, she does not need to get out of her bed and then check on her. If she gets out of bed, take her consistently back to her room and put her back in bed. Then follow the same routine every night..Everyone needs to go to bed at the same time if they all sleep in that room. I will cuddle with my kids if they cant go to sleep...but that is just me.
    Anonymous