• In the Spotlight:

Cruising to walking...

My son is almost 7 months old and has just learned how to pull himself up and is starting to "cruise" around on the furniture. How long after babies start cruising do they start walking? Please tell me I still have a couple months atleast!

Rachael420

Asked by Rachael420 at 12:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just asked this question no one has answered it
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 12:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Probably. That's the best I can do.
    How quick he moves to full walking depends on how quickly he gains muslce, how quickly he learns to trust his sense of balance, and how much bravery / dare-devil is in his makeup. If he tries it and scares himself with a fall, it could be months and months. If he has no scares and really cruises a lot, it could be weeks.

Start baby proofing!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:03 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I don't think you have months, it might be weeks. Your son looks like he's on a fast track to start walking and he will, he'll probably start taking steps by himself but it'll probably be 2 months or sooner before he starts walking on his own and taking a good amount of steps.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• There is no standard. Some kids cruise for a long time. Some move quickly from cruise to run. It's like everything else in an infants life - highly individual. :) My son started cruising on his own around 6 months old, but didn't take his first solo steps until 10 months. He was walking comfortably on his own by 11 months old. He had a lot of ground he could cover holding our hands or holding furniture before that he didn't feel the need to be adventurous. My DD started cruising around 7 months or so and tried really hard to move past that. She took her first steps at 9 months and was running by 10 months.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 6:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• my daughter was cruising at like 8 mos. she did it for quite awhile she tried to walk but then would get scared and get down and start crawling she started walking two days before her first birthday it just depends on when they feel they are ready he'll do it all at once and never stop but it is great she turned a year last week and now she is almost running through the house i love it
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My son skipped crawling and was curising around 7m but didn't actualy walk on his own other then a few steps until 11m. But I would start baby proofing everything just incase. Every baby is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My son started walking good at 8 months. Everyone says "oh now the fun starts..." I actually think that is true! He is more independent now that he can get around on his own. I love that he can walk now and I am glad he started so early. So in my opinion, lucky you!!!
    krockwell

Answer by krockwell at 1:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008