closed or locked doors and knocking for a child

Our 7 year old would like for us to knock before we go into his room and feels that he should be able to lock doors to rooms that he is in if he so chooses. My husband and I are in a disagreement as to whether this is appropriate or not for a 7 year old. I'd like some opinions and please we don't want your opinion on whether or not we are good parents we only want opinions that focus on the issue and why you feel the way you feel.

Some furdther perspective. We have never caught him doing anything wrong when he has been in a room with the door closed other than things like watching TV or playing when he should be cleaning his room (who hasn't dealt with that). This would apply whether he was alone or with friends.

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think the knock as you open the door thing is acceptable. Locking it is unnecessary

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would say he deserves a certain amount of privacy, that being a closed door until he has given you a reason not to.
    But I don't think the locked doors is okay. I would just tell him that you'll knock before you come in b/c you respect his privacy. But you don't want the door locked for different reason but I would say one of them being if he was hurt, or needed help, and the door was locked, it would take longer to get to him.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Children are not allowed privacy unless it's for bathroom purposes. They get into enough trouble without locking doors.

At 7, knocking is an acceptable request for politeness but locking is out.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My parents always gave me the respect I earned. They always knocked before coming in, and I think your kid deserves the same respect from his parents. Trust when you should, don't when you shouldn't.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My kids do this too, I let them do it because the locks are cheesy and I can still get in easily without a key. Mostly they do it to keep the other out. I'm ok with it. They are almost 6 and 4.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 6:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't allow locking, but knocking is appropriate IMO.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We always knock on each others doors before entering. Locking is a no-no. It isn't safe. If anything happened I can't get in there to help.

there was this show and I can't for the life of me remember what it was but the dad said 'I am respecting your privacy by knocking but asserting my authority by coming in anyway.' LMAO! I love it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Timmy... I'm respecting your privacy by knocking, but asserting my authority as your father by coming in anyway!
    Fairly Odd Parents!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We don't lock our door, so there would be no reason for our child to lock hers. I'd respectfully knock if requested.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I say knock as you open the door, but no locking the door. The door should be left open if company is over. Do you have controls on the computer and tv that prevents him for seeing too much?
    I think kids need alone time, but not too much privacy.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2011