Your driving out of the supermarket parking lot and...

...there is a ragged looking person with a cardboard sign which states they need food, gas, or whatever. Your kids are with you. What do you do?

beshka76

Asked by beshka76 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Keep driving.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Keep moving. I don't give to beggars. Our town has a homeless shelter that can help you with any need you have

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• If you can give them something to eat. Explain to the kids why thats a good deed.
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• shelters are often to full to help and turn a lot of people away....
    Collegemommy910

Answer by Collegemommy910 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• We would give them a few $$ or give them food..we have before...
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 6:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Keep going. The one time I did give someone something, he was dressed pretty nice and told me he had ran out of gas and just needed enough to get back across town. The next day I had to return the item I bought, and the same man was telling me the same thing. I donate to Toy Drives, Diabetes programs, Fallen officer funds, but only when I know that money is really going to where it's supposed to.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• What would you do beshka???
    JazzyJes

Answer by JazzyJes at 6:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• OURS doesn't. They have the capacity to hold 250 people and it is rarely full. We have an open office that gives out food and gas vouchers 24 hrs a day

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I keep driving. DH and I work hard for our money, and budget for our food which feeds our children. I am not going to give that away. I do not carry cash on me EVER, so i wouldn't have that to give away either. Just being honest.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would give them food before $, but am usually hessitant to stop for fear of safety. In a busy parking lot, I might give them food.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 6:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2011