My son just turned 3 and I have no idea how to get him potty trained. He will go in the toilet first thing in the morning and that is it, please help me?!?!

amanda751

Asked by amanda751 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• As I always say....its about repetition! Just keep repeating, he will learn eventually!
    This worked on my 15 and 16 m/o! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• He will figure it out before he's 12. Everything you do to 'push' he will naturally resist. Some of the forms of that natural resistance can be pretty horrible.

You can't make him physically or emotionally or mentally ready to potty train before he is ready, but there is a lot of damage you can do inadvertently by trying to rush him.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• well since he goes in the morning i'm assuming he knows what he's doing...bring him every 2 hours and see how that works out.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Give him lots of liquids and have him go sit on the potty every 20 minutes (set a timer). Every time he goes give him 1 m&m. After a few days increase time.
    Sonshiner

Answer by Sonshiner at 8:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Until he's ready, I wouldn't push it. We are still working on it at almost 4. Don't feel too bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Hello!
    Well, firstly i would find what motivates him. Candy, toys, verbal approval, visual charts,etc.. After you find that out you can combine the advice sonshiner gave about the drinks and potty time with a timer, and then reward him with the thing that motivates him the most. I use a chart in my preschool classroom, and a skittle bucket. I take the one i am training every twenty minutes. If they go, i do the potty dance(you can google a few) have them wash their hands, give them a skittle, and let them put a star on the chart. Stay positive and consistant no matter what, because if you punish or fuss, they can shut down, and push training back months.
    Ms.Wendy83

Answer by Ms.Wendy83 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• bless your heart it can be challenging! In time this will pass lol what worked for my little guy was every 15 minutes he was taken to the toilet and for each time a reward was given its all about concistency!
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 9:50 PM on Jan. 9, 2011