Hysterically laughable or dangerous?

Was reading this article about former Christians and where they end up in terms of atheist, pagan, etc, and at first, the book it's talking about sounded interesting. Then I got to this part:

I could bring something to this issue by introducing people to some of the faces and the stories behind the statistics,” said Dyck to The Christian Post. “And just providing profiles of these, what I call ‘leavers,’ these 20-somethings and early-30s that have walked away from the faith. And then provide some kind of tips on how to engage them in meaningful conversations about God that will ultimately lead them back.”

I skipped down to the part about how to "convince neo-pagans to convert back" and it got even better:

For neo-pagan leavers, the author spotlights Wicca, which is the fastest growing religion in the United States. Out of all the categories, Dyck reports that neo-pagan leavers have “the strongest emotional reaction to Christian faith.” Although neo-pagans are not as verbally combative as modernist leavers, if they do open up it is usually “a river of molten rage.”

Wiccans have negative feelings toward Christians because they have been repeatedly portrayed by believers as Satan-worshippers and accused of sacrificing animals and rumored to murder babies. Dyck says the first step in having a meaningful relationship with Wiccans is to defuse their negative feelings by showing familiarity with their basic beliefs and asking them what attracted them to Wicca and what problems they have with Christianity.

“Reaching neo-pagans begins with showing an appreciation for nature and a desire to protect it, all while directing them to the God of whom nature is a grand reflection,” writes Dyck.

Also, neo-pagans are attracted to spirituality so it is helpful for Christians to not be shy about talking about their own spiritual experiences.

Should Christians be devising active strategies to organize coersion of other faiths (or non-faiths) in the first place?  At first, I was just laughing hysterically through the whole thing.  Then I read the comments posted at the bottoms.  There are some scary damn people out there, and crap like this is inspiring them.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I'm always astounded at the disrespect some christians have for people of other beliefs (that includes atheists). I don't know why I am continually surprised though.

"The things people find relevant at all."
    Yea I know what you mean....kind of like how people find it relevant to persuade others to believe EXACTLY as they do.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Grace-OK, we get it- you don't like OP- but back down- some of us come on here for a little adult debate and conversation- you are not adding anything to that.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• ."And.........since it's STILL a free country,................... for now............................."

and while you feel have the right to try to indoctrinate people who don't ask anything about your belief and your god...it's their right to tell you to shut the hell up and keep it to yourself.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• why not try to bring formers back to the faith?

why not respect their right to make such decisions for themselves?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• As for the atheist billboard they're not trying to "convert" anyone; that's the point. They're simply trying to make people think.

Really- getting to think about what-their faith and to question it and to see things their way and become Atheist- sounds like converting to me-
    Why when a religious person puts their beliefs and opinions out there and asking people to think about it, its called converting but when a non-religious person puts their beliefs and opinions out there asking people to think about it, its not converting?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• and while you feel have the right to try to indoctrinate people who don't ask anything about your belief and your god...it's their right to tell you to shut the hell up and keep it to yourself.

Well said-
    Totally off topic- but I could never understand how people can go out day after day after day and have doors slammed in their faces and not think "there has to be another way to do this" or "gee, how else can I use my time and energy in the name of God".
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• " I am not so sure Jesus likes being on your bumper and the cause of all that honking-JMO "

This made me LOL!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• By the way, I'm not so hard up for "adult" conversation that I would let blatant verbal insults to my religion go without mentioning it.

Clarify- what blatant verbal assaults are going on in this thread?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't find it amusing or disturbing actually. *If* you goal is to attempt to convert neo-pagans for example; I think his strategy is sound - assuming he's talking to easily swayed naive people who really don't know what they believe in the first place. I don't think that would change the mind of any 'real' Wiccan/Pagan; however it definitely could help to mend relations between the two beliefs to act in such an understanding manner towards each other.

As for the atheist billboard they're not trying to "convert" anyone; that's the point. They're simply trying to make people think.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• .IMO religion of any kind should veer away from seeming 'commercial'...

On that note- not a big fan on the "Honk if you love Jesus" type stickers- I am not so sure Jesus likes being on your bumper and the cause of all that honking-JMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2011