vision or hearing problem perhaps?

I've noticed that my cousin's baby will startle if he's looking down and then looks up and something new is in his line of sight. My mom was holding him today. He was on her hip facing out. I walked up to him with a book I bought him and said his name and held it out. He looked up,saw the book and jumped! I wonder if he has a problem seeing or hearing. Its not like the book was right in his face,it was at least 18 inches away.
He's 8 months old.
I asked a question on here yesterday about him not wanting to go to anyone but his mom or grandma. I wonder if the 2 things are related
I just get this weird feeling about him,like something is just not right.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he's not turning toward loud sounds, I'd think he's got a hearing problem. I suspect you're right.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I hope your cousin might be open to the suggeston to get this checked out. Better safe than sorry with something like this. I would suspect hearing first but that might be because I do have a hearing deficit since birth.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It sounds more like a sensory integration problem. There are tons of articles on the web. Newborns have lots of reflexes, but an 8 month old would have grown out of most of them.

LadyQuin

Answer by LadyQuin at 11:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• bump
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• tell your cousin of your thoughts about this, its your family so you shouldnt be scared to tell and i wasnt saying that you arent but i am just sharing what i would do, maybe offer to help with an at home test, look up tests you can do and try them out and then if your fears are going up from there call the doctor, good luck to you and your family!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 2:38 AM on Jan. 9, 2011