i need help with my teenage son

he is stealing and i dont know what to do, can someone help please?

rebik24

Asked by rebik24 at 7:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I used to steal as a teen too and it took me getting caught that scared me to stop, i didn't go to jail, but the store manager let me go with a warning and let me leave with my dad, that was punishment enough. maybe some tough love will get him to stop. like calling the cops and having them hold him in a holding cell, they will do that if you ask them too. that'd probably be enough to scare him to stop.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 9:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Well if you know he stole something then you should make him take it back, take him to the place he took it from and make him apologize for taking it. That will embarrass the hell out of him.
    sjdchbkr

Answer by sjdchbkr at 1:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Have a police officer talk to him about the reality of what will happen if he is caught again. If he is stealing from you or his siblings, take precautions to hide things away (ask the cop what you should do, too)
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• PS workenmom it is great that getting caught worked for you, but it will not work for all teens, esp if there is an addiction going on. I hope in this case, like workenmom's it works nicely.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• thank-you all for answering my question, i've tried all of these, he mostly steals from family, he has learned how to pick locks and we went to buy a safe which is helping keep our money safe but i can't lock everything in it, nothing seems to be off limits to him.
    rebik24

Answer by rebik24 at 3:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• It sounds like your teen might be stealing to buy money for a drug addiction. The sooner you find out why he is stealing, the sooner you can get him help.
    Anonymous

• i had a cousin that was like that his parents talked to the county sherrif and the sherrif came and talked to him about it and the screy part is his parents asked the cop if their son could spend the night in jail like a criminal and he did that scared him out of stealing
    engagedandloved

Answer by engagedandloved at 10:56 AM on Jul. 9, 2008