Is it ok for a married man to have girlfriends that are single

My husband wants to have friendships with young, single female co-workers. He claims that it is not sexual and that makes it ok. I still find it inappropriate. Who is right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• It depends on what the friendship involves, but you need to trust in order for a relationship to work.

Answer by older at 7:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• As long as you two are seeing these "friends" together. Them hanging out alone,ummm,no way!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Not in my eyes. You should fool around all you want before you get married, but once you commit to marriage it's a done deal and I think any "side" relationships should end... permanently.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 7:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Has he ever given you a reason to suspect him of anything? If not then stop being the jealous wife before YOU make things go south.
    Anonymous

• I agree w/ older.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 7:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My husband doesn't have friendships with females regardless of whether they are single or not but it depends on what you feel is right for your relationship. It seems like your not cool with that and he should respect that and not maintain those kinds of relationships.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 7:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Maybe it depends on how he classifies friendship. Like everything else, there are different levels. I have a lot of male friends that I speak to, even occasionally have a casual conversation with, and if I got stuck in the mud, and one of them passed by, I would feel free to ask him to help me get unstuck. My husband would be okay with that. However, if I was meeting one of those same guys for lunch and didn't invite my husband to come too, then I think he wouldn't like it very much and that would make it inappropriate for me to have lunch with them. Or if the conversation I was having with them was about personal stuff, I think I would be out of line. So, maybe it would be appropriate for you to simply ask him to define the friendships that he wishes to have with these young ladies. It could be that his definition might fit into what you would find acceptable. As it is now, I think it's too broad a concept.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I wouldn't worry unless he seems to be dependent somehow on the "friendship" meaning he talks with them all the time, confides in them, and goes out with them only, unless it's to lunch or coffee. I believe some friendships can be strictly platonic, but I also know that feelings can grow when two people spend valuable time together. So just tell him what you find is acceptable and what bothers you. Keep the communication open. GL!
    berrysweetmamma

Answer by berrysweetmamma at 7:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• no its not ok at all.....all he need is just only you. your his best friend a partner and everything else. Its good to have friends but i hope it ain't close friends. especially young girls. its more like a couple goes to a strip club and all he pays attention to is girls strippers then you.
    jxiong28

Answer by jxiong28 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i personally think it looks very bad for a man to be seen with a single chic when he is married. not only will people judge but it's in poor taste and disrespectful towards you. i think it has nothing to do with being jealous or that you don't trust him. i just think that a married man should protray he is a married man at all times. i know that my man would feel uncomfortable if someone he knows saw him with a single lady.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2011