To people who were/are in food service/cooks? Complaints?

I ordered out tonight from a restaurant we've had food at a many times that was always really good.

A couple things were great but the other food was either nasty or undercooked and frankly inedible.

I need to call them tonight, they close at 11, about it so I can at least let them know that the food was not good..

But I am nervous for some reason. lol. I don't know the right wording to use?

If someone was calling you about food that was kinda screwed up really badly, lol, how would you want them to say it to you?

ETA: I would LOVE to bring them the food but they're a 20 minute drive that is about a 50 minute drive right now because it is snowing like the dickens and the roads are really bad.  I live in the lake effect snow belt.  I'd rather not go out again.. We were coming back from the grocery store (really needed some essentials.. TP! lol) to get the food or we wouldn't have been out in this weather.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Tell them exactly what was wrong with the food - it was undercooked, overcooked, etc. and what you ordered so they can fix the problem. They may have a new cook on the shift, or have just been super busy. Not that it's acceptable, just that sometimes these things happen and they need to know how to fix the problem.

Answer by missanc at 7:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would say, "While we generally love your food and order it often, to night the food was really inedible. I would like a refund for the items that were bad."

Then I would wait for them to tell you what they are going to do for you.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• To be honest I think what I'd do, if it was possible, is to take the food to the restaurant and show it to them.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• even as a retired chef- sometimes things go wrong. Call....just don't get bitchy about it.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• As a former restaurant owner, they want to know. Be polite, tell them exactly what you said her, but don't say it was nasty. Just say it was undercooked.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Let them know, how can they fix a problem they dont know exists?
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I'd definitely tell them. Last time I complained about service at a restaurant my daughter and I got a free meal. They can't fix what they don't know about.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2011