How would you react if someone told your child that?

Two of my DDs who are 5 and 13 went to a neighbor's house who has kids the same age. They have a small dog and he started "humping" my 5yo daughter's leg so my daughter said "look, he's hugging me!". The neighbor said "no sweety, he's stying to have sex with you"
My daughter asked what sex was and the neighbor said "it's when a man puts his peepee inside a woman's. That's how people and animals have kids"

I am furious with her! It's not so much that I don't want my daughter to know what sex is, but shouldn't she have said something like "you should ask you mommy"?
Or when my DD thought the dog was hugging her, shouldn't the other mom just humor her?

My 13-yr-old daughter told me about the whole thing and I don't know if I should have a talk with my neighbor or just let it go.

mysevenkids

Asked by mysevenkids at 7:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• This would upset me, too. It is my place to tell my children about sex when I feel they are ready. This woman may be more open about sex or oblivious to the appropriate role of a neighbor, but it is disrespectful to educate others' children on issues that can be misconstrued and blown out of proportion in our society. What I mean by this is although I believe sex is a natural thing that shouldn't be shamed, I don't want teachers at school hearing my daughters talk about it as blatantly as the neighbor lady and then turn around and tell children's services that my children know too much about sex, which in turn could lead them to believe someone is acting inappropriately around my children, thereby questioning my ability to parent. Make sense?
    beshka76

Answer by beshka76 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Oh NO! I would say something to her, that is NOT her place to tell your child, or anyones of that matter, about what sex is, as far as her pet, that's RUDE of her to say that to a 5 year old, what is wrong with that woman! I would have been furious. NO NO NO ! lol
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Even if he was humping and trying to have sex, hugging also describes what he was doing. It was not appropriate for your neighbor to say this to your child. I do not know how you would address this with her. But you either have to address it or keep you kids away from there.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would say something to her! That would make me furious!!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yes, I would have a big talk with them.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Linda---are you the neibhor in question? Sounds like you think the same way. vomit.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 8:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would go and tell her it was inappropriate to say that to your daughter. If she's that straight talking to a 5 year old about this I'd want to mention it just in case she ever mentions anything else!

GL!
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• OH I WOULD BE PISSED!!!!!1 and I would go talk to that neighbor!!!!! WOW That was WRONG!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• WOW!!! She should have taken what your daughter thought and ran with it! I cannot believe that she said that to your daughter!! I would be pissed!! That was NOT her place to tell your FIVE YEAR OLD daughter that. I would definitely definitely say something to her.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• LIVID would be an understatement.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011