Dates on Car seats?

I am going to move my DS into a bigger car seat that I got from a friend. However I can't find the date on one of them and the other says 2011. I am not sure if I should use them or get a new one?

Thanks for the help.

My friend who has twins gave them to me, who are now 5.  They have never been in an accident, but they have been stored in their non-heated garage.  The seat I can not find the date on is an Evenflo, and the other with the 2011 on it is a Graco.

redtree5

Asked by redtree5 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• Although your safest bet would be to buy a new seat.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I'm not up on the car seats having grown kids, but I'll bump you instead.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• There should be a month before the 2011. Go by that if you can find it.
    If it doesn't have one,buy a new one to be safe

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would net the were bought close to the same time and err on the side of caution and buy a new one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• new, you also can't guarantee that it has never been in an accident.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 8:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would use it as long as it had not been in a wreck.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• there is usually either a expires on date or a manufactured on date stamped on the plastic, a lot of the times on the bottom of the seat. sometimes it can be on a sticker. Most carseats expire 6 years after the manufacture date. you should never use a car seat that you dont know the history of though, you are basically putting your childs life into whomever owned the seat in the past. For a seat that was owned only by someone that you know and trust to give you the history of it would be ok as long as it had never been in an accident, was damaged, or not expired. For the 2011 seat it depends on the brand...some allow you to use them until dec. of that year and some have a specific date. what kind of seats are they?
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would buy a new one just to be safe
    CadincesMom

Answer by CadincesMom at 8:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think that date is that of the year it is expiring.... I would get a new one... even if they never got in an accident if it was in the garage and the temp changed it can cause the plastic to be brittle and there for not be as ggood as it needs to be
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I was in the same situation a few months ago and I bought a new one so there where no "if only"s.

LadyQuin

Answer by LadyQuin at 11:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011