Food safe sealant for a island countertop in my kitchen?

We rent from my parents and there is an island in the kitchen that has what looks like long strips of wood for the top of it that are sealed together with whatever they're sealed with. I don't know if it's because of time or a shotty job they did in the first place (previous owners) but there are grooves/cracks between these wood pieces that make up the the counter on top of the island. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in redoing counter tops like this and how would I go about re doing it? Also, what types of food safe sealant are there out there to re surface it?
Any tips or ideas would be wonderful! thanks!

CABlonde

Asked by CABlonde at 8:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Anything will be food-safe once it's cured... which will take at least a week, no matter what you use. Until it's cured, it's important not to have it covered with anything, so you're using the table for a work surface for a while.

I'd get a marine-grade wood sealant. You could use plastic wood, which is stainable and paintable, but I happen to think is horribly ugly. You can also use silicone (like tub and tile) but will have to replace it fairly often, as it's not 'work surface' material.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2011