I want to get my 16 month old a small pet- what do u suggest?

I was thinking of maybe a turtle, or a hamster or somthing, I decided against the hamster because God forbid that thing gets out and eats though my TV wire or somthing... Any suggestions?
I dont want a dog, or cat, I want somthing small, realitivly inexpensive that will teach him about caring for a pet, and the concept of life, and if it should arrive, death.
What animal do u suggest, and what info do you know about the particular pet of choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Pets

• A fish. Turtle have salmonella on the backs of their shells.
    Anonymous

• I'd go with a fish. Reptiles can be very difficult for novices to keep alive. Also, they can carry dangerous bacteria. Small rodents such as hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, and mice are very easily killed by young children squeezing them or stepping on them. And since you don't want a dog or cat...I think a fish is a good "beginner" pet that should be relatively safe for both your toddler and the animal.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• maybe a fish...lol...its relatively low maintenance, wont bite him, and he could feed it everyday. the downside is he wont be able to touch it
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Hey, great minds think alike, anon. LOL.
    vicesix

• I would go with what ever you like. Your child is too young to really care for the pet. A fish is aways a good start. We had snakes when the kids were babies and toddlers. They loved them and snakes are very low maintance.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I would say anything smaller than a cat is too small for one that little to be responsible with. Anything smaller would be open to a whole new type of problems e.g. the type of animal that would have to be caged, wouldn't be as tame as a cat can be (would bite little fingers), wouldn't be house trained, and might not stand up to the unintentional abuse of one that age.

I could honestly not recommend a small mammal for a toddler unless you are willing to get one that can survive that age with the child (dog or cat). Perhaps an aquarium (well out of his/her reach) that LO would be able to watch and help feed with supervision?
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 9:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• A stuffed teddy.

Make no mistake, any pet you buy 'for' a child this young is a pet for you. It's your responsibility, not your child's. If you like caring for pets, and accept the responsibilities involved in keeping another living creature alive and happy, get whatever kind of pet you want to have.

Turtles are inappropriate for children because they carry salmonella. Rodents are inappropriate because they're easy to squeeze to death by accident, and bite --often. Rodents are not domesticated animals, they're just wild animals that live with people --ditto ferrets, skunks, chinchillas and rabbits. They don't understand 'training' and are not cuddly, needy or able to understand 'friendship.'

You can get small cats and dogs, which are domesticated, and sturdy enough to survive the 'love' of small children. And then train them properly. But little kids need constant supervision to live with animals --for everyone's safety.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• At 16 months old they are not going to learn much from the pet. If you want a pet for you that your child will enjoy watching go with a fish tank. Turtles will bite, and they will most likely out live you. Heaven forbid when your child hits 2 or 3 and is trying to pet everything they stick their hand in a turtle tank and lose the tip of a finger.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My daughter's first pets were hermit crabs. She loved to watch them scuttle around and she'd help fill up their food dish and water dish. She was a little over 2 when I got them for her though. Be careful buying pets though, because the newness wears off relatively fast and then you're the one stuck taking care of them.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i would go for a fish first to se how he would react to it first
    tammy372011

Answer by tammy372011 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2011