IBS in toddler?

So, my daughter is 2. She has always had a really sensitive stomach, but it's gotten much worse. If she eats more than a couple bites of anything greasy, or processed, or sweet- she gets diarrhea. Stomach cramps, sometimes she sweats and cries. I know she has a soy allergy/intolerance (not diagnosed by a doctor, but it's very obvious to anyone who sees her eat a drop of soy sauce or eat a cookie that was sprayed with Pam, etc) but this goes beyond just soy. I watch what she eats like a hawk. But it's gotta be hard for her being the only kid she knows who doesn't get junk food- she cries a lot when other kids get to eat cake (she can't deal with frosting), or candy (out of the question), or french fries/chicken nuggets, or mac and cheese (too much fat), or really anything sinful. I spend lots of time searching for recipes for healthy baked goods and kid-friendly entrees, she eats green-food energy bars instead of poptarts, she eats sun-dried mango strips instead of fruit roll-ups, she eats homemade fruit sorbet instead of ice cream. But all it takes is a couple chips and she's sick again. She's going to the dr on Monday. Does anyone else have any experience with this in such a young child? I hate seeing her go without, but I REALLY hate seeing her sick. We avoid birthday parties like the plague because she simply can't eat anything there and won't want her special hummus and cucumber sandwich on soy-free low-sugar whole-grain bread while the others eat pizza and cake.

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 9:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• You need to get your pediatrician to refer you to a gastroenterologist. They can do specific test to see what exactly she has and they can be more specific on what she can and can't have and just maybe there might be a medicine that she can take daily that will ease the side effects so she doesn't have to miss out on being a child. Good luck!!!
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• That sounds like a gall bladder issue to me
    good luck at the doctor

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• That's how I feel- she's missing out on her childhood. My mom says it's because I've raised her eating very healthy and now her stomach can't "adjust" to any junk food. Feel like it's more than just that though. Today my brother was here and he was eating cheesecake which she can't even have one bite of, she was so sad when I told her that she couldn't have any she just moped around with her thumb in her mouth. So I made her some chocolate covered blueberries (with soy-free low-sugar dark chocolate) and gave her 3 of them throughout the day just so she could have a special treat. By the end of the day, she had diarrhea AGAIN. I feel so terrible, she's just a toddler and doesn't understand why I always say no to all sorts of delicious foods.
    soflashelley

Comment by soflashelley (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Yes take her to the gastro doctor. Poor thing I hope you can find her some relief soon!!!
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I am going through the SAME thing right now with my son.. the only difference is that my son can handle soy, but not cow's milk. I am waiting to find out when my ped gastro appointment is.. I have been told that it might be lactose and fructose intolerance.. have you had any luck with a diagnosis?? Its terrible, especially since I have a 5 year old girl who has no food aversions at all..

The other day we were at a school party for my daughter and she gave my son 1 cookie, i thought it couldnt possibly be that bad.. and it was.. ONE cookie threw his bowels way off!
    hinksa

Answer by hinksa at 3:58 PM on Jun. 29, 2011