my sister had her first baby about 2 weeks ago and I'm looking for some support here, I think she may have postpartum depression

She had her first baby and it was a long pregnancy that she didn't necessairly enjoy the whole way through. The baby was one week over due and she laboured from christmas eve to boxing day when they finally took him by c-section. Breast feeding is something that she wants to do but is struggling with from time to time. She dosen't seem to want anyone's advise anymore and is absolutely misreable. I had prenatal depression with one of my babies and I know it sucks and you're not yourself. Her dr is keeping a close eye on her (I know we have the same one), I told the dr how things seem to me in an attempt to give the dr some more info that she may not care to share or be ashamed to share that she feels that way (I did that). She is being so ignorant and rude and completely self centred. She is awful to her dh too, which is not like her.
I would really like some comforting words of advise, I've never been on this side of things and have no idea how to help her. All I've been able to do is arrange for people from our church to bring her meals so she can get enough rest and be able to care for her baby and give her dh one less thing to have to worry about too.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Relationships

• Just talk to her about. Remind her you have been there and done that. Tell her how you felt after. Maybe she will open up about. If not just keep checking on her and helping her as much as you can.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i had that right after my daughter was born, give it some time and help her out, hopefully she will get better in a couple weeks.. good luck
    kyiahsmommy

Answer by kyiahsmommy at 9:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Tell her you understand what she's going through and you're there for a shoulder should she need it. Then bundle that baby up and tell her to grab her coat, you guys are going for a walk, get some fresh air, some sunlight.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i was the same way throughout my 2nd pregnancy . it was hard to admit that i was depressed but once i saw my Dr. he gave me meds and that really helped me. big time. my hubby could even see the difference. just be there for her and tell her to join cm. I'm sure other moms would love to help her. keep your head up :)
    Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Encourage her to stay nutritionally supported and properly hydrated and to engage in some stress management techniques such as meditation, prayer or mild yoga.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 7:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2011