I'm pregnant with my 4th child and had a few questions about delivering a child who is breech

My first child was breech and that was little over 6 years ago. He was a planned c-section. My 2 dd's after that were successful VBAC's. I'm 7 months and the baby is bum down as of my last appointment. I know there is still time for the baby to get into position, I'm not worried about that. I would just like to know of women's experiences delivering a breech baby as my dr said they are more willing to let a woman deliver a breech baby than they were 6 yrs ago. I'm willing to give it a go, just want to have some idea of what to possibly expect. My deliveries go very quickly, first vbac was 5 hr labour and 30 min of pushing, second one was 3 hr labour and 3 min of pushing. I'm also worried I may not make it to the hospital in time!!! I have a paramedic friend who is going to come over and ride to the hospital with us when I go into labour just to give me peace of mind.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• After you "proven pelvis", I don't see why you cannot try but i'd certainly be looking for an OB or midwife that is SKILLED and TRAINED in breech delivery. Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• a good friend of mine delivered twins, one head first and the second breech. I do know that chiropractic care can help to turn a baby to the proper position.. my chiro told me when I was pregnant that she would help me get the baby into the right position of she was breech when I was close to labor. One thing you can do so that the hospital will give you a better chance of delivering your way is to NOT TELL THEM!!! Don't allow an ultrasound that close to your due date.. and check out some of the natural mom groups on here for some suggestions on other ways to get your baby to turn. I know there are lots of version methods including chiropractic and acupuncture.. but I don't know all of them. Good luck, I hope they let you get your 3rd VBAC!!!!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Go to youtube and search "breech home delivery" and you will find TONS of good examples of women sucessfully and SAFELY delivering babies in the breech position.

Make sure your doctor is TRAINED and EXPERIENCED in SUCCESSFUL breech delivery. MOST doctor's are NOT. ALL midwives are!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• the hospital I would be delivering at is vrey much on board with delivering a breech baby, their c-section rate has really gone down lately. I'm encouraged by this and thank you ladies for your comments and advise!
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Jan. 12, 2011