My toddler grinds his teeth

His front ones. I know he is playing when he does it. I made him his first dental appointment comming thisfFeb. He is 21 months (1 1/2). The sound is really annoying to me lol

Anything I can do to make him stop? I tell him but I know he has no clue what I am talking about lol

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 9:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When I hear her doing it I just tap her cheek and say quit grinding and it usually snaps her out of hit.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• IGNORE it. He is probably grinding his teeth because he is teething and it is a new sound, sensation to grind his teeth. My son does it when he is scared and nervous.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• get him if you havent already , a figit-- which is something he can hold on to alot of the time and squeeze or play with both hands , something small , soft , and see if that might stop the grinding with his hands occupies
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• not much you can do, me, dh and the 3 kids all grind our teeth in our sleep. Me and dh have mouth guards but don't use them, dh throws his in his sleep. We wake up and find it across the room, lol The kids are too young for the mouth guards
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Ignore it...it's a stage...don't "tap" him on the cheek...good grief!! anyway, when they start getting new teeth in the back as well, they want to "feel" them...it's totally natural for a toddler to do that. My daughter did it for a couple weeks...I ignored it, and she eventually stopped, when she realized nothing was coming from it. it's a horribly annoying habit, but turn the music up and ignore it :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• @coala...if you "usually tap her on the cheek" it doesn't sound like that's working for you too well, except short term...if she's getting a rise out of you it will continue. Im just sayin.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• yeah he may be having a new tooth come in. He does it randomly like if he is playing and I hear the grinding. lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It is a new sound, new sensation to him so he is trying it all out. I would 'ignore' this and not draw his attention to the grinding (cause if he knows grinding bothers you he may just keep doing it-- on purpose to annoy you). What you could do is when you notice him grinding find something to distract him - something that will take his focus off grinding and transfer his attention to something else. Maybe give him a favorite toy, or something to chew on....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:22 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My niece and nephew grind their teeth. It is either a genetic problem or it is from watching their daddy grind his teeth. When we remind them they are grinding their teeth, they will stop. Typically they are playing a game or hugging one of us when they grind their teeth so I just try to switch activities when I notice it.
    Megs00835

Answer by Megs00835 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2011