My son has fever

my son is 18 months old and has a wet cough and high temperature, he vomited his dinner all out yesterday, i gave him a flu and cough syru i bought in the chemist, what should i do for him to be well again? We were flying from New York to Africa so i suspect he got the inflamation then.

Pat2210

Asked by Pat2210 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Kids' Health

• make sure he keeps fluids down they are the most important. I would rotate motrin and tylenol every four hours. If the fever spikes up feel the bathtub full of lukewarm water and let him sit in it he will probably freak out but it will help bring it down
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 9:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Use Children's Advil (ibuprofen for the fever). Make SURE you MEASURE the dose properly for his weight.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 9:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• keep him hydrated no matter what. and for the fever try putting a wet towel on his forehead. it will keep him cool. don't put to many covers/blankets on him. I'm sorry and i hope your baby gets well soon.
    Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't think flu and cough syrup is meant for an 18 month old...unless Im missing something here...he needs to stay hydrated and alternate tylenol and mortrin..if it continues, take him to doctor...also, aren't a LOT of shots needed for traveling to Africa???
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Fevers just mean the body is fighting the infection so it's not a bad thing. Just keep him hydrated like was mentioned above. There are some fever reducing meds out there that will make him feel better.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It will be really good if you get his proper check-up done once you reach your destination.
    SweetNewBaby

Answer by SweetNewBaby at 7:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011