Witches and Pagans in general

Do you "look down" on other Pagans or Witches who don't believe or practice in a similar way to you, or feel that you are "better" than other Witches or Pagans? Do you feel that you have the right to tell another Witch or Pagan that he or she isn't doing something "right" or that they aren't a "real" Pagan or Witch?

Be totally honest, even if you do. Answer anon if you feel the need to.

(This came up because of a video I watched from a Witch that I follow on YouTube. She's been getting crap from not only those who aren't Witches or Pagans, but also OTHER Witches and Pagans.)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 9:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow. Sounds like many Christians I know...looking down on, harrassing, and behaving contrary to their teachings when it comes to other sects or Christian faiths. Too bad it extends into paganism too.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My believe is just that, MINE. I don't expect anyone else to believe the same. I value other witch's opinions, especially those of you who have been practicing longer than I have. I've only been at this for 10 years (give or take). I still have a lot to learn.

As for other Pagan (you notice that I always capitalize that) religions ... I respect their beliefs as long as they respect mine. In most cases, even if they don't. We each have our own paths. Besides, I'm an avid learner. I like to learn about other things and that includes other religions. For instance, right now I am looking into Kabbalah and I recently bought a book on I Ching. Interestingly both have to do with numbers. 

HOWEVER! I do NOT respect "fluffy bunnies" that ask idiotic questions like "what kind of spell do I do to get the power to freeze time?

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I personally do not, but with any religious belief you get those who feel that others are not true
    to the faith bc they do not do it this way or that...
    I have seen articles written by other Pagans/Witches both male and female and have found that
    there are a few who do either look down on, frown upon, even judge others who pull from different
    paths to incorporate it into what they believe...
    But not as many as I have seen IRL and online of other religions doing it to others of their own faith...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• No, I don't. It sounds more like how Christians talk about other Christians. I've never heard of Pagans snubbing Pagans.. even newbies. Newbies are usually given extra attention to help them along.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think some people, regardless of their beliefs, tend to look down on others who they think are 'doing it wrong'. It's funny, I left Christianity because of that, and then found that some Pagans (particularly some Wiccans) were like that too! Some people just suck, they think they're better than everyone, even those who believe the same things they do. It's a sad fact of life I guess.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Not in the way you mean. I do, however, have little patience for people who deliberately spread misinformation based on my faith by completely rewriting it to fit into their own. I don't care what someone believes, I do care when they try to convince others that the runes or the eddas mean the complete opposite of what they actually say, or that they are actually associated with goddesses from other pantheons, etc. Then again, the misinformation that gets associated with Heathenry is a lot more sinister and potentially violent than the usual arguments over Dianic vs Gardnerian. There aren't a lot of Wiccan prison gangs out there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• No, I dont.

Everyone has their own path to take and its not up to me to decide how others see or follow THEIR path.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• No...But, I am sure some look down on me b/c my beliefs and practices are so blended. To me if you are a Solitary, Eclectic Pagan or Witch then you have forged your own tradition and you are they only one you have to answer to! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Only on FluffyBunny posers who haven't done their homework.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• No i don't feel i have the right to tell someone else that their practices are wrong. everyone does it in their own way. there really is no right or wrong way. Everyone should practice in a way that is perfect for them.
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2011