Baby registeries....do u find it helpful, or greedy?

I have a million friends that are pregnant right now- I had a baby not to long ago and I couldn't register for my baby shower, idk why but I felt it was asking to much, that I would be greatful for anything I got, and I knew I could never have "too much" of one thing. In the end, my baby shower was amazing, all I said was that I didn't need any clothes 0-3 months and I recieved some outfits but mainly diapers, and bottles, and soaps, and wash clothes and towels and lots and lots of things I needed, and needed pleantly of. I was extreamly blessed for all that we recieved.
I have been looking over friends baby registries lately and was over welmed by not only the ammount of things they registered for, but the PRICES of things they registered for. No outfits, no bottles, no wash clothes...it was things like cribs, and high chairs and bedding, and lamps, and everything to make a nursery.
I couldnt help but feeling...idk...taken advantage of? Iguess I always felt that the "big wig" items were suppsed to be bought by parents..if you can't afford a crib, or carseats, or bedding maybe perhaps you shouldn't be having a baby yet?
on the other hand I feel stupid for feelings this way because the economy is horrible, and its hard for me to afford things for my son, so I know its got to be hard to buy everything for a new baby.
what do u think, greed, or helpful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think they're helpful. Even if a crib is on a registry, that doesn't mean a parent can't buy that item off of there. And when you only have a small amount of people to invite to a baby shower, it's nice to know that you won't be getting lots of the same things that maybe you don't need. People really want in the end to buy stuff that's going to be helpful to the new mom, so there's some comfort knowing that your gift will be exactly what they wanted. That doesn't mean they can't throw in something extra that they've bought on their own, but ...

I get more annoyed when I see useless things on a registry, and I just avoid those items.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Helpful
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I always find it very helpful because then at least you know what to buy for someone. If there isn't anything in my price range, then I generally just buy them clothes because I figure they can always use them. At the showers I've been to and at mine, sometimes the parents will buy "big" items or a group of friends will go in together to get something. Overall - helpful!

Answer by missanc at 9:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I always felt like that too. My sil had a 15 page registry... O.o... AND then hounded her mother and I to buy all the things she didn't get at her shower. She makes three times what dh and I do, but we should buy all the crap for her baby... NOPE.

I do not buy things from the registry at all. I make one of a kind baby items.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Greedy, unless someone is throwing a shower and says "We want a registry".
    Anonymous

• I think it's helpful.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i like the help as to what to buy, but usually go with something I know they will need if it's on the registry or not. I registered, but I was such a busy preggo I never had a shower so it never got used. I had big items on my list, stuff I didn't expect a single person to show up with. If they have nothing but huge items on the registry, I would probably opt for a gift card as a contribution towards what the LO needs.

BUT, I made a gift registry for DS's Christmas. I felt like such a bitch, but everyone kept asking what to get him, and I didn't want to say, "How much do you want to spend?" or just telling them to get something specific felt rude as well. So I made the list, and it was a huge success!
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 9:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I find them pretty helpful. It does make you raise an eyebrow though when you see stuff like a $700 crib or something. Yes, I understand you have to have a cherry color to match everything else, but come on now =P If I can't afford anything, diapers are always the way to go IMO.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think they're helpful, plus it's fun for the new moms-to-be. I did it with my first, but skipped it w/ my second. Only becuase in the end, I found them USELESS lol, people are usually going to buy what they want to buy, and not take the time to look off the list.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I find registries helpful, but I mainly look at them as suggestions, I don't look at it like I have to get those items. If a registry is -done with thought and care it can tell people what the baby needs so the parents don't wind up with all the fun stuff and none of the essentials. If I can't find anything on the registry that i want to get or the prices are out of my budget I just get something I think is essential to having a baby.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011