Coverletter

I have a professional resume (of course, someone helped me make it!) I'm terrible at typing up Resumes / coverletters. Does anyone know of a good template that I can use to base a CL off of? I have never even had to use one before =( so i'm new to this

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you have Microsoft Office you might have some template choices to choose from in the program.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• As an HR Director, I strongly advise you to do everything you can to customize your cover letter, especially if you're going to use a template.
    Good luck!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I do, but it's the newest Microsoft office, and sadly enough, i dont know how to work it LOL!
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• if you are applying to a specific job, there are always points you should put in:
    first write that you are applying for that specific position. secondly say any key words that the job offer requires- such as multi-tasking, experience with invoices, etc...

and third say things like you are looking forward to meeting them and are very interested in the company. if you know what company you are applying for, it's always good to look them up and find things out about them.

such as- I am aware that "K COMPANY" reached record sales in 2008. I believe that I would be able to add to that record through my sales and hard work....

john2007

Answer by john2007 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• You can Google cover letter templates. Find templates for each type of job you're applying for and then customize them to suit you.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• A cover letter should tell a specific employer what information in your resume is relevant to the position and company. It should also show that you have researched the company/industry.

There are great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group:  http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Here is how I do mine and they have worked well:
    First paragraph: write specifically what the position is and where you heard about it (a great place to "name drop" if you heard about it from a person who works with the company."

Second paragraph: what experience, talents, or skills do you have that match or fit with the position you are applying for. Be specific. Things like "For 3 years I worked at ___ and was responsible for managing blah blah blah." "I also did blah blah blah and blah blah blah, which required me to be responsible for blah blah blah." You can also add if you have any computer skills or other skills that might be relevant to the position.

Last paragraph; say that you're really interested in the position (state the name of the position), summarize that you are a great fit for their company/position, and that you look forward to hearing from them soon.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:55 AM on Jan. 9, 2011