Red Velvet Cake

I think it's funny that I have never heard very much about red velvet cake until maybe the last two years. It seems to be such a trend. Is it really that good? My reason for not having made it yet is because I have a little bit of an aversion to food coloring. I asked a friend what it's like, and she said it was like white cake with food coloring. What do you think?

MyGiftsFromGod

Asked by MyGiftsFromGod at 10:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I always thought it was chocolate cake with food coloring.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Its heavenly goodness.
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 10:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• my grandpa's red velvet cake was the BEST CAKE EVER!!!
    so moist and wonderful...my mom has the recipe-but it has never come out as good for her as it did for him.
    I have a hard time finding any anywhere that is very good- I did try the red velvet cake mix though, and actually it isn't bad! I was surprised.
    I have tried a few that weere too dry or too bleh- I guess grandpa spoiled us with his ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think it's yucky. I've made a few for people (I make cakes to order) and I have never liked it, but the people I made it for gave me rave reviews. My dislike has nothing to do with the excess food coloring, I just odn't like it.
    Anonymous

• It's chocolate. They make all-natural food colorings, India Tree only uses plant sources for theirs.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I think its vile....its chocolate and everyone I have ever tasted left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I love it and so does my dd. But they do not sell it all year, just around the holidays so this year I stocked up.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 5:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's a very old recipe, but has recently gotten a lot of publicity. It has about 4 oz. of red food coloring in a cake. You should be careful about trying it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I wonder why the food coloring isn't just left out then, and the cake is just chocolate. I can't imagine the red changing the taste for the better.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Comment by MyGiftsFromGod (original poster) at 4:04 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I recently read an article in our paper on what makes a proper Red Velvet Cake. Apparently it is often not made right. It doesn't have a lot of chocolate in it, so I think it would be disappointing if it was just made as a chocolate cake. I will have to try and find the article.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2011