Which one do you take?

You've been looking for work for several months without any bites at your online resume. You apply for other jobs that don't pay as well as the positions you really want.

You get an interview for a retail position that pays about a dollar above minimum wage. You ace the interview and they want to hire you; you're two weeks into training.

Starting your third week, you get an interview for a higher paying job and ace that interview. They want to hire you.

What do you do? Do you stick with the retail job (that you're really starting to enjoy) with the lower pay or do you start the other job (you're definitely qualified but not sure you'll really enjoy the industry)?

This has happened to me in the past and the decision I made was the better decision.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Money & Work

• It depends on if I really needed the money. If I really needed the extra income then I'd take the higher paying job. Otherwise, heart over money for sure.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I take more pay......in my case I also struggled to find a job but I have day care so $1 above minimun wage would not cut it. But forme I hate retail so I'd be misserable doing that so if that jpb wokrs for you go with what works I just said more pay based on my circumstances.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It depends on how much I need the money.
    hotrodlassie

Answer by hotrodlassie at 11:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• That always happens to me too! I would tell you if your financial situation allows, I would keep the job I am starting to enjoy. Too many bad experiences with jobs...for me.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• i would take the higher paying job and ask the other to bump me to part-time.i like to keep my foot in 2-3 doors.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I'd take the higher paying job personally.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would take the position with the best career path

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2011