What is the best way to start weening my DS?

My son just turned one and I'm starting to think about weening. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to prep my son and I?

LadyQuin

Asked by LadyQuin at 11:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I nursed all four of my children and I just started giving them the sippy cup and they started weening themselves. The less they nursed, the less milk produced by my body. About 3-4 months it took...
    armymom2016

Answer by armymom2016 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Don't offer, don't refuse. A lot of times if a toddler asks to nurse and you tell him no, he will ask 10 times as much, just wanting to hear yes! Avoid places where he usually likes to nurse. Offer him a zippy cup w/ water and/or a healthy snack before he asks to nurse(when you get the idea he is going to ask).

If you do absolutely nothing, he'll wean in his own time, all on his own.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• What did you put in the sippy cup. He mostly drinks water and juice, I was wondering if I should supplement with formula? I don't want to get caught up in the bottle wars though?

LadyQuin

Comment by LadyQuin (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I've heard of women having their babies around that age stay with a family member over a weekend, I think it's kind of harsh, but its forced weaning. I haven't weaned my son, he's 14mos, it's been rough. He drinks from a sippy cut, I give him vegetable and fruit juice, and he loves water, but when it comes to eating he's like a bird. So I'd rather BF a bit longer.

Good Luck though, and don't do a bottle, that's just another attachment object, another thing to take away.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Chld led weaning is best for both of you. We introduced a sippy cup with water at around ten months; when my daughter weaned at 23 months, she was drinking plenty of water.

Great information here:  http://www.babyledweaning.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 10:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• No juice! You are asking for dental and weight issues

Answer by rkoloms at 10:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My DD also weaned herself, FAR too early if you ask me. She was 7 months and just was not interested in nursing at all. It wasn't until I went on an overnight trip and never became engorged that I realized that she had clearly been weaning herself for a while. It broke my heart. I would definitely start dropping one feeding every week or so and give that in a cup or bottle. Then, add another feeding. I hope that helps!
    Megs00835

Answer by Megs00835 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2011