S/O do you pay family to babysit?

My mom babysits whenever for how ever long I want, which isn't often, and I don't pay her.  That would be weird.  But what about if my sister babysat for a couple hours?  She'll be 13 soon and asked for a teen babysitting class for her birthday, which I am going to pay for, but when she is done what would a good amount be? any amount?  I was thinking $10 an hour, that'd be plenty for her, I think. :?)

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 11:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think most Mothers don't ever expect to get paid when they babysit, but a teenager is a little different. She probably could use the money, and she could probably be out with her friends or doing something else besides babysitting. I never wanted $ for watching my nephews as a teenager, but my sister always made me take a little something. I guess $10.00 is a good amount now a days, I'm the Gr-Mother so I'm not too sure about that any more, but it sounds good to me.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• my mom & future mother in law babysitt for me and my boyfriend alot. & they never ask for a nickle. but when we ask my brother who is 18 and and his sister who is 17 we always offer money. i think grandparents tent to babysitt for free wich is a good thing but in a way i kinda dont wanna feel like im taking advantage of them. but 10 and hour for a thirteen year old isnt bad at all. i would go for it.
    knicole90

Answer by knicole90 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Depends on the circumstances. My family helps me with my daughter a great deal. If it's absolutely necessary for work, I usually won't, but if it's for fun or an errand that just applies to me (getting my hair cut, for example), I'll pay my 16 year old sister.
    PrayableMom

Answer by PrayableMom at 11:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Um $10/hour is A LOT for babysitting family member! My in-laws care for my daughter here and there, but never by our necessity until next week. This semester, I need their help on Thursdays for about 2 hours in the evening....they would look at me crazy and probably want to smack me if I asked them how much $ they wanted! lol However, I understand that your sister is young and this will be like her first job. I think $10/hour is a little too much to be honest. I think $5/hour would be better for her age. Her first job will pay a lot less than $10/hour and I think that may set her up for disappointment. If you really want her to receive $10/hour...maybe you could save the rest for her and give it to her later....just a thought.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• The lowest I will go is 8, which is min wage. So maybe I'll start there.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Do some research at a few sites like care.com and see what she could earn at other homes in your area. She would most likely want to maximize her earning potential no matter who was the client.

http://www.care.com/care-p1271.html

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Wow. $10/hr is more than minimum wage lol! That's sounds pretty good.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011