What time is a good time for a 14 year old boy to get off cellphone and xbox live on weekends

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• 11pm for the cell phone, maybe midnight for xbox.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• At that age, in our house, all gaming on weekends stopped at 10pm. We don't have cells, so no issues there. But, gaming always at 10pm and NO gaming during the school week, period. I truly believe teh mind needs a winding down period before going to bed. After gaming was shut down, they were to do something quite, such as read or draw, which both my boys love to do.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Depends on how long he normally plays. I don't think it's unreasonable to let kids play video games for a couple of hours, so if he gets on at 7 and plays until 9-- no problem. If he's been playing all day, and is glued to that thing, then whatever time you say he should get off-- he should get off.

We never had video games growing up, but TV was of course a favorite. My parents had rule-- we could watch as much television as we wanted as long as we had earned it by spending an equal amount of time reading. So if we could document we had spent 1 hour reading, then we could spend 1 hour watching television.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• It's the weekend, if he away from other family members where it wouldn't disturb them, I'd probably say 10-11 o'clock ish...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I say as long as all his homework is done, along w/ household chores, and no misbehaving, I give my 12year old brother until 12. That's only on a friday/saturday. On sundays has to be cut off at 8. 12 because he doesn't play it throughout the weekdays becaue of school and school work is a must to get finished on time.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• During the school year weekends I would say 10pm. During the summer I'd say midnight. I'd set rules now so come 16 more freedom could be granted. A teen isn't going to go to bed on time if they don't have any chores to do when they wake up.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 11:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Our 14 yr old son doesn't have a cell phone, and won't until he's 16 and working a part time job. As for XBOX Live, not a clue what it is.. I'm assuming it's a game system, but don't know what the "live" part of it is... Our son can play the wii, or Playstation until 11pm on weekends as long as no one wants to watch TV. He doesn't have a TV in his room because we feel it isolates him from the family too much.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• At my home at the age of 14 it would 10:00.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• For me personally.. cell phone would probably be around midnight or so.. and as for XBOX live.. at the age of 14 there is no way in heck my kiddos will be on there YET. My hubby and I both play games of all kinds on there and let me tell you theres some CRAAAZZZYYYY people on there lol. A majority of them just LOVE it when a young kid comes into the room to play (usually can tell by their voice) so that they can harass them and say all kinds of things just to get a rise out of them.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Our rule is one hour of screen time on school nights, two on weekends. None before all homework is completed.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2011