Quick question..

I think I need medication for my anxiety/ OCD... I want to try Zanax Heard mixed thing. My husband doesn't want me to resort to medication to help. Does anyone take it? and do you feel weird at all when you take it.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Health

• You should talk to your doctor. There are many different types of meds for anxiety. Your doctor can determine what type is best for you.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Really only you can answer that question. I have friend on low dose Xanax and they are fine. If you feel you need help then medication may be the way to go. The best person to talk to is your doctor.
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 11:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I took Xanax for a while. I became dependent on it and started taking more than prescribed. Please be careful and talk it over with your doctor.
    Anonymous

• Do you know for sure that you have ocd? you should not buy anything over the counter that are like xanax or any other drug for OCD some medications worsens the symptoms the best is to go to your doctor if you really need take medication because every person has different reactions to medications.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I do know have it, it isn't severe but enough to aggravated me that It takes so long to do anything. I see a therapist
    once a week.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Talk to your Dr. (or therapist) about medication options. You can sometimes request a certain medication (for example, Xanax) and your doctor will start there. Then, he can adjust it or change to something else if it's not working. My husband is on Xanax now, and it's not as effective as some medications that he was on before (for anxiety and trichotillomania). Different medications work better for different anxiety disorders (anxiety, anxiety paired with depression, phobias, ocd, trichotil., etc.), and your doctor should have a good idea of a where to start.
    TiffanieJohnson

Answer by TiffanieJohnson at 12:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• For my anxiety (comes and goes) I take a generic of Valium as needed - maybe once a week. Talk to your doctor.

Re your DH - anxiety can often be a chemical imbalance. Don't think of it as "resorting" to meds as if you've failed in other ways. You are using meds to balance out your brain.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 4:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist

Answer by rkoloms at 9:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I see a therapist.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2011