losing 50 lbs or more

Have you done it? If so how did you do it?
I am not looking for a quick solution or anything like that, I know it is going to take time. I just know I have to lose at least 50 lbs (I will be at the top of my BMI then) and I need some advice on how to get started
thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• If you are looking for a program, the only successful one that I've had experience with is Weight Watchers. It's free to join right now, just pay $12.00 every week for your meeting. If you're looking for a book, I'd suggest the book The Belly Fat Cure. It really helps with learning which foods to eat and which not to.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I have not, but I do know two ladies who did. One did it through weight watchers, and the other did it with Jenny Craig. The friend on Weight Watchers seemed to have a far more flexible program and was able to eat more normal foods. She did include daily exercise as part of her program. She lost 97 pounds, but gained about 20 back. The friend on Jenny Craig is continuing to eat the Jenny Craig food, which made the holidays very hard, but didn't include exercise. She lost 55 pounds, and has stabilized at this weight.

Both sought those programs for the extra support. The friend on Jenny Craig chose that program so she didn't have to "think" about it-- just eat the food through the program, don't deviate, and she lost weight. The friend on Weight Watchers chose that one for the flexibility.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I don't believe in diets, most will not follow it for the rest of there lives, so therefore they gain the weight back once they go off of it. I say learn your limits. Cut back on the junk food, don't over indulge, eat more fresh natural foods, learn what to cook ur food in and what not to, etc etc etc....as far as exercise, AEROBICS!!!!!!! I lost over 30 lbs in 2 months doing aerobics. Goodluck, and don't loose it too fast because u will not like what ur skin looks like LOL!!!!!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• To kick start it you just have to put on your shoes and go outside for a walk. You'll feel good when you push yourself a little, go up those little hills and walk a little further than you would normally. Once you come back, you'll feel great for exercising, your endorphines will be going and you won't be likely to eat, or at least eat junky. Then you take it one day at a time, and don't beat yourself up when you aren't doing your best. Good luck. I'm right there with you - have to lose about 50.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I had gastric bypass in 2003 after trying pretty much everything for a decade to only lose some weight & then gain it back plus more. On my surgery day I weighed 258 & it took me a year to lose it all & I haven't gained even a pound back, I still weigh 125. It wasn't easy & is still a daily struggle but it's a tool that I continue to use each & every day to help me maintain a healthy weight.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• I haven't, but I have heard great things about Weight Watchers. Good luck to you.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 11:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• my friend has lost 160 pounds in 2 years by exercising and eating right. She looks AMAZING!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• My sister just lost 51 lbs. and it took her about 9 mos. She joined the gym and got a fitness trainer and a nutritionist. Not everyone can do that, but she got great tips and advice on what it takes to take it off and keep it off. She's still working out and eating right. She did learn that diet & exercise go hand in hand and you'll only be successful long-term if you make a lifestyle change! It's not a diet, but a way of life! She is 48 yrs. old and has gone from a size 14 to a size 2. She has energy like a 20 yr. old and feels great! I plan to use some of what she has learned to lose about 30 lbs. As we age, our bodies change and if we don't make some major lifestyle changes we will be miserable and sedentary and that's not how we want to be. Make small healthy changes and stick w/it and you'll be successful! Best wishes!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 12:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I did at one time. I weighed 210 lbs. when i started my diet. I put myself on a strict diet to lose weight faster. In an 18 month period i lost 95 lbs. I did it by eating no more than 1200 calories a day. I counted everything that went in my mouth, even low calorie sugar (2 calories). LOL I did a 30 minute cardio exercise every morning (7 days a week) and did some strength training in the evenings about 30 minutes. (ab crunches & leg raises and that kind of stuff).
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 5:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would start with simple changes, just add one per week.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 4:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011