Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Joint custody

My husband has joint custody of his 8 year old daughter. The mother has physical. She recently left her boyfriend and took his daughter to a new mans house to stay the same night. Now the new boyfriend and Childs mom moved into a bad trailer park. They got engaged within 2 weeks of knowing each other. He just got out of prison 8 years for having a meth lab. They live in missisippi and we live in Louisiana. My husband and I have 2 daughters and live in a nice house in the country. How should we try to get my step daughter with us. She is unsafe very unsafe. We are saving to get a lawyer but is there anything we can do in the meantime. It's unfair that we live a safe and quiet life and she is living in a slum. Her mother and boyfriend of the week have been partying all weekend as seen by their posts on facebook. This is the 6thboyfriend in4 years. It's hard for a father to get custody of his child in Mississippi. But shouldn't we have grounds now? Thankfor taking the time to read this.. I really need advice.


Asked by MKSers at 11:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 19 (6,651 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Don't call CPS. Call the Police and ask them to do a 'Well Child Check'. CPS will take the allegations much more seriously if the Police call it in than if the ex calls it in. And if it isn't a situation CPS would get involved in Dad won't look like he's trying to make trouble(false claims to CPS can be used in custody cases)

    Don't expect it to get Dad custody. CPS's is goal is reunification with the parent that has custody. They will give her a million chances to jump through their hoops and as long as mom is actively working with them there will be no change in custody. Especially not to another state because part of the process is mom having regular visits with the child.

    Answer by desert_diva at 12:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • Call CPS and have her investigated. Your Husband will probably need to be the one to report her, and then he can take custody until they settle the matter, and you can get with an attorney and get the help you need to sort out custody.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

  • YES, call CPS. I don't think any child should be moved in with a SO that soon and in those conditions!!!! It is so sad, I hope and pray nothing happens to this child before your husband can get her.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • Call CPS and find a lawyer that does a free consultation so you can get some advice as to what u need to do first. gl

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • I would have to talk to CPS and tell them your concerns. This is not a good environment for that child. Someone needs to be aware of her husband's criminal history along with the possibility of taking a prescription that didn't belong to them. I wish you luck on this.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 1:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • call the local police department where you SD lives and ask for a child welfare check

    Answer by prinzesstephi at 2:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • You need to talk to an attorney. My DD and her husband just got full custody of my adorable 8yo step-granddaughter. It CAN be done. But, you NEED an attorney! And...document...document...document! Document EVERYTHING!

    Answer by specialwingz at 11:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

  • She went postal when we forgot to send back 4 ADHD pills Amphetomenes. 14 pills are actually missing from the prescription We did the math. She got 44. 20mg plus 30. 5 mgs... This child does not need them. We don't give them to her but don't send them back home bc we feel. The mother or bf might me taking or selling them. Why would sheneed44 pills while only 31 days in December...hmmm doesn't add up to me. They were filled on dec. 8

    Comment by MKSers (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

  • We called cps before at a previous home bc one of the mothers friends called and said the house was un livable. Cps came out and gave her 3 days to clean it up. You are right desert diva...cps does not help the father. Thanksfor suggesting the well child check. We haven't heard that before.

    Comment by MKSers (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Jan. 9, 2011