What are your thoughts on Guantanamo Bay?

I am reading a great book called My Guantanamo Diary so I was interested in everyone's opinion. Do you think it is right that prisoners are held without being charged and without trial for years?

MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 1:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • no, I don't. the right to a trial is a founding principal of this country, and it's hypocritical to not extend that right to ALL human beings.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:33 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I do not like it one bit.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Well... from what i hear it's a bad place and only really bad people go there.... people there probably deserve to be there
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Isn't Guantonamo sort of like a prison camp for suspected terrorists???? In that case no, do not close it as they will be allowed into general population and we will be under attack again. Maybe conditions could be better there but I really do not agree with a just shut it down without a place for them to go idea. But, then I am the kind that thinks all serial killers, child killers and pedophiles should be taken to an island out in the middle of nowhere and have to survive on their own. Would save thousands of taxpayer dollars.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I was just looking for more info and found this article. It kind of scared me a bit. I'm all for keeping terrorists as far away as possible.

"President-Elect Obama is planning to ship dozens of terrorist suspects from the camp to face criminal trial in the US. It is a controversial move but one that demonstrates how abruptly he plans to change Washington in terms of policy, personnel and tone the moment he enters the Oval Office."

Full Story

njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 9:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• They have the right to a fair trial. I don't like Gitmo and I don't like the idea that the prisoners in Gitmo get better healthcare than most Americans. Something has to be done about Gitmo. They can't stay there forever. As far as them being shipped onto American soil, do you really think the Cubans are paying to have them there? WE ARE!!! There's been talk in the Bush admin about keeping them at the brig in Norfolk. If anyone has seen the brig at Norfolk, it isn't exactly camp x-ray.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Obviously there's a reason for jails, obviously there is a reason for prison, obviously there is a reason for this.. I don't dwell on why people are in jail, prisons, etc, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be happy about HOW they got there, WHY they got there, or what they experience AFTER they get there...point is, if we didn't have these places, we might be in a WORSE place.
    Ednarooni

Answer by Ednarooni at 11:16 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• AND I don't dwell on why people are sitting in JAIL WAITING for trial either.
    Ednarooni

Answer by Ednarooni at 11:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• only really bad people go there.

and you hear that from what source? based on what evidence?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Ednarooni Obviously there's a reason for jails, obviously there is a reason for prison, obviously there is a reason for this.. I don't dwell on why people are in jail, prisons, etc, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be happy about HOW they got there, WHY they got there, or what they experience AFTER they get there...point is, if we didn't have these places, we might be in a WORSE place.

or you might be disturbed by the fact that some were turned in for a bounty, on scant evidence, and never given any chance to face or even know the charges against them. or to present evidence of their innocence.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2008