School Drama

My 9 yr old DD, is a really great girl. She is a good student who doesn't get into trouble. Until one day she gets sent to the "responsible thinking room" for a total misunderstanding. Well now, a month later, she still does not want to go back to school. She is afraid that the aid that sent her there is going to send her again, for no reason.

Has been begging me to homeschool her and her sister. I am afraid if I go to the school I will just be making it harder on her. My advice to her so far is not to worry just keep telling the truth and do your best, and the rest will work out.

What would you do?

redtree5

Asked by redtree5 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• poor girl I know as a mother you want to help her but you are doing good telling her to tell the truth and do her best do not go to the school bc sooner or later she will have to fight her own battles now if she was in trouble for something more serious then yes go to the school but for now just send her. there is no short cut in this case she has to GO to school unless there was no way she could go to school then you'd home school her but honestly I think she will be fine just give it time. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2011

• Have you talked to the person who put her in the "responsible thinking room?" Find out what it's about and see if her fear is really warranted Sometimes kids can blow things out of proportion. Plus, there is always two different sides to every story. You need to find out for yourself so you can handle the situation better. If you aren't happy with the situation, you can always change schools.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:02 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I agree with amessageofhope. You should look into it and understand totally what happened and aleviate your daughter's fears. It would be reassuring to your DD that you went to the school to straighten eveything out.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I woul;d talk to her more and try to understand what is going on at school, there may be more to it then you are seeing. I also think you should go to the school and see what happened or if there is anything else going on. I know when my DD started 2nd grade she cried every day and didn't want to go to school. I went in and talked with the teacher and found that she was fine once she got there. The problem was at lunch a little boy in the other class was bothering her. Once we got the bottom line of the problem she was fine. So I could talk to her again and see what she tells you, let her lead the conversation.

She may be looking to you for help and going into the school supporting her might be what she needs. You should not be afraid that she will get in more trouble because you are concerned and if that happens then I would go to the principal.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It sounds like something more is going on at school. I would try to get to the bottom of it. I know aides are a great help to teachers but sometimes they do go on a little power trip. When my son was in 5th grade there was an aide in the class because there was a boy with cerebral palsy. Her job was to assist him and keep him safe, but she constantly picked on my son and accused him of horrible things. I finally had to talk to the teacher and put a stop to it. I think you should talk to her teacher not the helper. The teacher is in charge of the classroom not the aide.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Hi, it sounds like your doing a really good job. I would do exactly as you have.
    Elle2778

Answer by Elle2778 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 11, 2011