Is there a way...

That I can dye a white cotton dress a different color? If so how??

I bought a white cotton dress that I absolutley love but I'd rather it be in a bright pink. Does anyone know how I can or if there is even a way to dye it???

Proud_Mommy05

Asked by Proud_Mommy05 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• When I need to have garments or shoes dyed, I always take them to a dry cleaner. I provide a sample of the color I want, so they get it right. You can use a kit to dye stuff yourself, but its way to messy for me and cost about the same. Hope this helps!!!

dalene66

Answer by dalene66 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You can try to do it yourself BUT...

...you have to be careful, even when it says 100% cotton, there may be threads or embellishments that are not cotton. Different fibers will take the dye differently. In this case, you will get a pink dress, but elements of it will be different shades of the same pink.

You will also need to prewash the dress, to remove chemical treatments that have been applied, and allow the dye to saturate the fibers. Be sure the dye bath is well blended before you add the garment, so that it will be absorbed more evenly, and not give you a semi-tie-dyed look. GL
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:11 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thank you ladies!!
    Proud_Mommy05

Comment by Proud_Mommy05 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Rit dye
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2011