He will go potty for everyone but his mommy. Why do you think?

My step son, who is four, will go on the potty for everyone but his own mommy and step dad.

She says that she has to fight with him to get him even near the potty while everyone else just says "go potty" and he will go do his business and be happy and up beat about it.

Why do you think this could be happening?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's hard to say without knowing more of the story, but many kids use the potty as a means of gaining control. It's possible that he feels he has little control and choice when with his mommy and step dad. This scenario is being played out with one of my neighbors right now. This boy will go potty for everyone but his mom and dad. His mom has now started offering choices such as, "You have two choices, you can either do what I told you, or you can choose to sit in time out." The outcome is still the same: child must do x or get time out, but it is presented as a choice. He will now go potty for mommy, but not for daddy who thinks the choice thing is a load of crap.
    motheram

Answer by motheram at 2:23 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I agree I think it is because he wants to gain control of his bottom end. My son who is 3 did the same thing with us. When our youngest was born at 28 weeks and had hospital stays and momy wa always with the baby he was feeling down about it. We had some family friends watch him one week that our youngest was in the hopspital. He would go on the potty for them but not for us. I personally think he wanted us to baby him. We asked him why he won;t pee and poo for us. His reply was because I like poopin' in my diaper. I also think my son wanted that extra attention because he was feeling slighted with the new baby in the house. Our son now wipes his own bum...
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 4:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I agree! My toddler does the same! I think he feels like if he goes to the potty he won't be the baby anymore! I have tried everything but it doesn't seem to work! I try to let him know that no matter what he will be special no matter how big he gets! I have even tried to get his older brother to help thinking that maybe he will see that his older brother can go potty and give him the idea that big bubba does maybe I should to! That didn't work either!
    ke_smith2008

Answer by ke_smith2008 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2008