What could have scratch their noses?

My 2 dogs live in our backyard and I have them tied but have enough slack to move around and when I go out there I let them loose to run & play (I have them tied bc they ran away twice) anyway I go back there to feed them today and noticed one of my dogs nose skin scrped off like as if she had had a scab before and the dry part fell off and then I went to feed my other dog same thing but not as bad... I am like wth?
What could it be I thought that was strange our backyard is fence in with the wooden fence....hmm?
Thanks Ladies for listening...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Pets

• You do know it's illegal to leave your dogs tied up no matter how much room they have? To answer your question, they could have scratched their nose themselves. Also being outdoors anything could have happened.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Yes, it is illegal to leave dogs tied up for several reasons. As for the dogs noses being scratched?? They are tied up, and in a fence, so you will have to search until you find the cause. More than not, they were after something and trying to dig to it in dirt or maybe through the fence.

dalene66

Answer by dalene66 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• dogs get into lots of stuff..amazing what kind of trouble they can find. Also it depends what state you live in, and whether or not it`s illegal in that state to tie up your dog. That information is most likely online. :)
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 5:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• OP HERE Another reason we have our dogs tied is that they like to dig n dig and one day last January I did let my dogs loose in the yard and not knowing one of my dogs dug through the fence so when we put our dogs back to calling it a day the next morning my neighbor came over to see if her little dog was in our back yard :( and to our surprise her little small dog had came over and fell in our pool and drowned :( I was so sad and felt so bad... what could I have done I just kept telling her how sorry I was.
    So ladies asmuchas I would love to leave my dogs freely outside I can't so please no bashing about being tied up they are happy dogs when it's time to go in they know to go to their spots. thanks ladies for all your input (good or bad) I really appreciate it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• They dig because thats a natural activity and they are probably bored stiff. Do you have toys games out there for them? Things for them to play with? Do they get much interaction from you? Or are they just left out there to their own devices?

The danger with keeping them outdoors all the time in a pair is that they become more dog and more wild than trained. They need to learn what behaviours are acceptable and when they are.

It sounds like they are digging and scraping themselves on your fence. Keep an eye on the scabs as they could become infected.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It's common for dogs to rub their noses raw on fences, rocks, concrete patios, etc. It depends on what they are doing. If they are close to the fence, they may be nuzzling to get out (I've seen this a lot from kennel doors at pet hospitals I've worked at). If they are sniffing/nosing around on the ground, they could be rubbing it on rocks or concrete. Make sure your dogs have toys and other items that will keep them entertained so they don't continue this behavior. The spots can get infected and cause bigger problems if the issue continues.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 6:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2011