Why do people adopt dogs just to leave them outside all the time?

I was just outside bringing out a bag of trash and WHOAAA.....IT'S COLD! I heard this little bark over and over. I feel sad for the doggie outside. In this weather, my dogs go outside do their business and come back to the door wanting back inside. I live in PA. The summers are super hot and the winters are super cold. Why bother having a pet if they're not welcome in your house? I just don't understand.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Pets

• I have 7 dogs ranging in size from fairly small, to a Great White Pyrenees. They are all in my house. I don't know why people do that. Getting an animal that you're not going to interact with doesn't make any sense. They need attention, love, and affection the same as we do. If the people that left their animals outside in extreme weather conditions and all alone were to be treated in the same manner, I don't think it would be a problem anymore. As far as the puppy you heard but can't find, I'd still call animal control. They will be able to find the little feller.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• That really sad and potentially fatal for an animal to be left in extreme temps. Call animal control so they'll come out and talk to the owners.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:38 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Not all dogs are inside dogs. Some people have dogs as guard dogs. And some people don't want their house ruined and smelling like dog, so they keep their pets outside. However, in extreme temps, the owners should let the dog in the garage or in a closed off room in the house.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 2:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• There are a ton of them out here where I live and we see them and ask the same thing?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My puppy is outside a lot, but when it starts raining she's either inside or in the garage. I don't let her stay out there during bad weather.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:44 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• you don't have to know the exact location --they will come out and listen and try to find it .
    babipeanut

Answer by babipeanut at 12:45 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think having allergies is a good reason to NOT have a pet...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i have a lil dog and like it was said shes inside w/ us but will go outside do what she needs to do and runs right back in and sits in front of the heater lol. shes out and in i swear 3 mins.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It's because they got a dog thinking they wanted it, but then realized it wasn't the right fit...but aren't mature enough to realize that they should really just find it a new home rather than neglecting it.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• That's something I've always wondered myself. My dogs are part of my family therefore they are in the house with the rest of my family~~end of conversation.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 5:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2011