Do you or someone have PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome)?

my bf has PTSD...He is extremely moody, emotional, etc. How do i deal with someone like that on a day to day basis. Anyone that has it or is closely related to someone who is? I just need to know how to help him cope with it daily.

KheiyahIsLife

Asked by KheiyahIsLife at 12:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Health

• There are great counselors that work specifically with PTSD. I had a hard time after finding my husband's uncle who committed suicide. I was diagnonsed with PTSD and she worked with me through it. As of to date, I have not had any problems. I do know of others, including my own dad, who did/do not seek help and suffer daily with the pain and visions that cause it. I would suggest that you find a support group so that you are better able to handle it.
    guyandtoni01

Answer by guyandtoni01 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have chronic PTSD. PM if you'd like to chat.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Is your boyfriend receiving treatment for his PTSD? I understand that my husband has PTSD, and I take it day by day. Some days he is very moody & emotional, but I just ignore.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I went through this ... for me it lasted for a little over a year ( fading over time ) ...... my husband made it worse because he would just get mad and didnt understand what was wrong with me... I didnt talk to anyone and just I guess suffered through it..... I think it would have been alot better if you are just there for him, listen to him, reasure him, and just dont get mad over it...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 1:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Honestly, PTSD is different for every person. He is going to need to tell you what he needs. He might not even understand what he is dealing with exactly, and some days I don't even understand why I'm getting flustered... And I was diagnosed 8 years ago.

PM me for more.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• well first off is he on some sort of medication for it? I suffered from it as well for awhile. While suffering with it, Its a very lonely feeling also feeling as if no one cares or understands what your going thru.. JUst do your best to stick it out and let him know you are there for whatever he needs that he is loved and there is always hope! Good luck.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 2:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• @xxlilmomma09....No there is no treatment that is taking place right now. i think he is a little embarrased to do that but something needs to be done. I don know what to do when the mood swings take on. I just get angry and feel rejected.

KheiyahIsLife

Comment by KheiyahIsLife (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• @2lilbumblebees... How do i be there...what would you have liked your husband to have done for you when you got in your moods? what did you do that caused him to be angry?
    KheiyahIsLife

Comment by KheiyahIsLife (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have been with my fiance for almost 7 years. The first 4 years of our relationship we had no idea that he had PTSD. Because I felt extrememly rejected and alone in the relationship, we almost ended it. At that point he went in and started getting help. He's now on 3 different medications daily, and has 2 different therapists that he sees regularly. Sadly, there is no cure for PTSD. We are still dealing with it everyday. However, with the help of his meds and therapy we've been able to work through the PTSD. The mood swings and fights are less frequent and (if anything) more easy for me to understand.
    Please feel free to message me on here privately and we can talk. It's very hard to be the caregiver for someone with PTSD, it takes a lot out of you and it really helps to vent sometimes. I'm here for you whenever!!!
    Sheri97378

Answer by Sheri97378 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2011