6 month old's sleeping schedule is giving me a really hard time

My son is going to be 6 months next week and his sleeping schedule went from fantastic to really difficult. A couple months ago, he would go to sleep at 9 or 10pm and sleep until 5am only waking up maybe once. Now, he goes to sleep at 6pm and wakes up at midnight. After midnight it's so difficult to get him to sleep again and when I finally do he wakes up every 2 hours until 6am. I can't always go to bed that early so I feel like I'm barely sleeping I'm so frustrated. Plus it seems he still wants to eat all the time at night..he's still drinking 2 or 3 bottles of just a few ounces. I don't get it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some babies will do this till they are a year old im sorry to tell you lol but take a deep breath. You may just need a new routine. Try keeping him up till atleast 7pm as they say most babies should go to bed at 7 to 8. At 6 when he would normallly want to go night night maybe give him a bath instead that will stimulate him and keep him up. Make sure your feeding him a full botte befor you lay him down for bed. when he wakes the first time if its been atleast 4 to 5 hours since his last bottle then hes probably hungry and you should feed him. but if hes waking up after a couple hours of eating then hes just being fussy and you may want to try swaddeling him, or a binki if he takes one. It will get better dont worry.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 1:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• you just need to set a schedule for him, from nap time to bed time, babies have no sense of time just light and dark, i know with my kids even if i leave an extra night light on for them up sometimes so i reduce the night lights to one and one in the bathroom since there bathroom is next to their room. but keep him up for as long as you can and make sure you make his nap in the middle of the day and not to close to bed time. when my kids use to nap if it was past 2 i called it a loss because then they would be up all night. my kids are 3 and 4 now and i start bed time at 6-7 depending because the routine of things last until 8, get him into a routine, bath time tummy time bottle bed or something along those lines. too many naps can cause him to wake up a lot too, good luck and i hope this was helpful!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 1:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• At 6 months, he's likely to be going through a major growth spurt. Anytime my son goes through either a developmental or physical change, like a growth spurt or learning to walk, his sleep schedule gets completely wonky. Even learning new words will do that.

Try and stick to a schedule as best you can. Allow him to get plenty of rest within that schedule. Strange as it sounds, babies who don't get enough rest will actually have a tougher time getting to and staying asleep, and it's a vicious cycle that repeats itself.

Sometimes I have to "reset" my son when he's had a nightmare or otherwise wakes up and is inconsoleable. That means turn the lights on, and redo our bedtime routine. That gets him tired again, and he's able to go back to sleep.

Unfortunately, at this age, their sleep will take unexpected turns. Just try your best to stick to the routine, and over time, it'll become more of a norm.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Make sure he isn't taking his last nap too closet to bed time. My son wasn't allowed to sleep from 4-7 because I wanted to make sure he was good and tired before the long night of sleep. Due to this, he was sleeping through the night consistently by 3 months. I don't know if that will work for your little guy, but it might be worth a try.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:10 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Looks like his nap is too close to bed and he is confused.
    And @ 6 months, they are having a growth spurt so that explains the eating more.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:24 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Co-sleeping saved me! I was able to doze/sleep while my daughter nursed during the night.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I have a 4 month old who does that off and on..LOL, welcome to the club! What can I tell u mama, Some babies do that and just when u think they r on one schedule.....BAM, they change!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 2:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• put the baby in the baby bed in the room and close the door because you might have to let them get adjusted to it themselves don't feel bad
    AmirnLexcimom

Answer by AmirnLexcimom at 2:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2011