Marriage & Religion. What do you think?

I know in the bible it says that you must have marriage before sex/children. But what if you are with someone that you want to spend the rest of your life with but do not want to be married. Do you follow your heart or your religion?.. Personally im more into spirituality & am not religious at all, I dont beleive that you should be married to share yourself with someone you are so in love with. & if they say god is so accepting then why do we have to follow so many rules, that in my perspective make you something that you are not?... I am not trying to go against anyones beliefs I just like to hear your thoughts on this. *:) Thanksss

Milani_Hunni

Asked by Milani_Hunni at 12:58 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My response to the people who were constantly throwing that whole, "no sex before marriage" bit in my face was to ask them who performed Adam and Eve's marriage ceremony. Seriously, way back when WHO performed those when there were like 2 people on the face of the earth? Answer: Probably GOD (this coming from a Christian perspective, or at least how mine was before I finally left Christianity). Love and commitment are NOT equal to marriage. Marriage today is something people do, it's a piece of paper that legally (emphasis on the word "legally") says two people are now a new family and bound to each other. Yes, a lot of people get married in a church and say that is the only way to be recognized as married by God, but in my opinion, those people are saying that their God isn't as powerful as they usually claim he is. God is supposed to know your hearts, minds, bodies, and souls, correct? Then he should be able to see (cont.)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:07 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• There is a difference between God accepting what you do and loving you despite what you do. God does not accept premarital sex, but He does love you anyway. It bothers me that often people think that God is this big thing up in the sky making up rules so we can all be miserable slaves for him. There are reasons for the "rules" and they are in your best interest (whether you believe it or not). God intended marriage and sex to be in image of His love and the Trinity. If you are not married before you have sex you are taking the act out of context.

Long story short, if you only "spiritual" then your idea of marriage and sex does not have the same meaning as mine. When are ask me about marriage..we are talking about two different things and using the same word.

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• plus, pre-marital counseling emphasized and supported God as a partner in a marriage.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 1:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Follow your heart and what will make you happy.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Follow your heart...that is where the Divine is so that is where you should listen.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Does the Bible really say that specifcally that you should be married before you have sex? Where?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• It says thou shall not have sex before marriage, not in that exact words but it does. I couldnt tell you where because it will probly take me a week to find it... (being sarcastic)
    Milani_Hunni

Comment by Milani_Hunni (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• If you plan to be together for the rest of your lives, why not get married. I mean no disrespect, but I do not understand that at all. I would most definitely ( and did) marry the man I plan to spend the rest of my life with and raise my children with.

asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 1:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Yes I understand that. I just have this debate constantly with a friend.. I also beleive that people has used "god & religion" as another way to control people in the world for centuries, possibly through the begining of time. In reality there is some fat ass rich guy laughing at how gullably naive some people can be.
    Milani_Hunni

Comment by Milani_Hunni (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You're right. People have used the name of God to control people and create fear since the beginning of time. But that doesn't mean that His message of love and truth is not real. Sex has been twisted and become something it was never intended to be. To experience the real love, as God intended, is in the context of a marriage.
    Some people will say that they are not married and they have "real " love..but I respectfully disagree.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2011