Volunteering

I want to volunteer to be foster parent for our local animal shelter. Is this a bad idea with a 3 year old child? I am not worried about them physically hurting him, but I am worried that he may not be old enough to grasp the fact that they aren't ours and that we are just helping. I don't want to hurt his little feelings just because it is something I want to take part in. Advice?

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 1:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Definatley. We are fostering my MIL's two daschunds and my whole family is smitten. I've had firm boundaries from the start and said we are just caring for them, looking after them. Helping them. I would apply the same thing to the work you're doing...you're just helping to look after them and get them ready for their new families.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Go for it. Explain it like babysitting.
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 1:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• you could try it, just explain you are looking after the animal cus their mommy is sick and he needs a home till she is better,but make sure u keep the child informed that the mommy will be better soon just in case
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011