Is there a good diet I can follow to lose weight while breast feeding?

My son cannot what so ever have formula so I do everything I can to keep my milk up for him, but I need to lose weight...any suggestions?

Tristan_0824

Asked by Tristan_0824 at 2:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I was told not to even try dieting until my son was about a year old. I (of course) didn't listen and beat my head against the wall trying to lose weight anyway. I couldn't lose it and was super depressed. I swear that the second he turned one I dropped ALL my baby weight. I'm not sure if it was just me or if it really is true that you can't drop the weight until the baby is about one...Seems like nature might work that way on purpose. Either way, best of luck. :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:38 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thanks :) I just hate being so fat lol I just want to be able to keep up with my son once he starts walking lol
    Tristan_0824

Comment by Tristan_0824 (original poster) at 2:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I had a voracious appetite when I was breastfeeding, and actually put on more weight than I had gained while I was pregnant! I've finally lost that and more by eating clean (I have a journal post with details, if you want to read about what clean eating is). It can definitely be done safely while breastfeeding. NEVER let your calories go below 1600 a day while nursing, or it can affect the volume of milk. Eating clean is about small frequent meals, eating while grains, lean proteins, veggies and fruits, etc, and cutting out refined carbs, like sugar and white flour. Take a read, or google it. It's not a fad diet, and I haven't been hungry since I started! I keep my hunger on a more even keel. I'm never startving like these fad diets.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would love to read your journal if you don't mind. I was over weight when I got pregnant and I'm still over weight. I'm back to pre pregnancy weight but I feel disgusting. Any help will do. I need to change my diet for my son.
    Tristan_0824

Comment by Tristan_0824 (original poster) at 3:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Weight Watchers has a plan for breastfeeding mothers.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:24 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I was also going to say weigh watchers.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 2:15 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I would start with simple changes.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, or do other exercise, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week.
    Make sure that you are drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 4:17 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• good luck to you! I would not stress over dieting while nursing though.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Try eating a healthy diet full of fruits and veggies and protein. And drink lots of water.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:03 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I'm just so unhappy being as big as I am...I just want to feel good about myself again :(
    Tristan_0824

Comment by Tristan_0824 (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2011