I'm a breastfeeding mother and for the last couples of days I've been having a sore throat, and unable to drink any cold liquids. I've been drinking tea and hot cocoa instead and in the process have gotten constipated....... My SO told me I could take some epsom salt with warm water, but I don't want it to harm my baby girl..... Please help me out on this.......

Could epsom salt harm my baby girl if I take it.........All answers are appreciated..... Thank you and stay blessed......

blessedmama003

Asked by blessedmama003 at 2:10 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• google it, from my experience with it its very safe when you take the right precautions but i dont know about while breastfeeding, google it or wait and call your doctor or her doctor
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 2:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Boil water and drink it plain. You may even find you like the flavour. If you don't, you can add the juice of half a lemon and a teaspoon of honey... which is soothing, does the same thing and Neocitron with none of the colours, preservatives, or aspirin.

Last time I looked, epsom salts were not recommended for internal use.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:15 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Oh honey I have already been through this :) Epsom salt will not harm the baby if you gargle it. As a matter of fact talk to your doctor about a list of medications you can take that is safe for your baby while breastfeeding. My doctor gave me one and my son did fine while I was sick. You've got to remember our little ones are really strong and it's really important that you continue to breastfeed while you are sick so that way they can get those antibodies to fight off colds. Your doing a great job mom and good luck :)
    Tristan_0824

Answer by Tristan_0824 at 2:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You can gargle just table salt and water. Do that many times a day. Good for you.
    You can try prunes for the constipation.
    Drink more TEA less hot choco.

Get better soon.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:22 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• and i didnt mean i didnt think it wasnt safe while breastfeeding i was just saying i didnt know, but i agree with the other 2 moms above, its very safe you just have to measure right, i have used it on my kids too but they are 3 and four ya know, i use it for their eczema too, i love epsom and its sooooooo cheap and cures so much!! splinters, sprains, sores, love epsom!!!! goodluck!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 2:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Thank you all for your answers and encouragement........
    blessedmama003

Comment by blessedmama003 (original poster) at 2:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know you could use epsom salt for all those things................. I'm going to the store and buy a trunk load more of it.....
    Thanks.......
    blessedmama003

Comment by blessedmama003 (original poster) at 2:36 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I don't know about epsom salt, but why don't you try to put a slice of lemon and some honey in your tea to help with sore throat? Drink that couple of times per day and see if it works. It works for me when I don't want to take any medicine.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• make a syrup with equal parts honey (anti-bacterial and soothing) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• For your constipation, you can safely take a stool softener like Colace, or the generic of it.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2011