How do you make meatballs?

I put them in the oven (that's how my Sicilian stepmother always made them), but my MIL came in (she lives with us) and saw them and said, "You are supposed to fry them."

Am I weird for putting them in the oven? How do you normally cook them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Frying is one old method. Never heard of baking them.

My mother taught me to just drop them in the sauce and let them cook that way. I remember her telling me, "Don't tell your aunts that I don't fry the meatballs."

Funny thing...she was the best cook in the whole extended family, and she did everything "wrong."

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Depends on how many I'm making. If it's just a dozen or two, I'll fry them in a pan. If I'm making more than that, I'll do them in the oven. There's no right or wrong way...it's whatever way you prefer.

Me, I like the added flavor and texture of browning them first, but some folks, like the pp's mom, don't even pre-cook them! Of course, that works best with long simmered sauce...not heating a jar :) lol
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:09 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I put my meatballs on a broiling pan and broil them. When they are brown on one side I turn them over. I do it to allow some of the grease to drip off.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2008