Natural or Drug Birth?

What kind of child birth have you guys had? how painful was it? ..

I prefer to have a natural birth, partially because I dont want a needle in my spine but more so because I dont want to drug my baby.

Milani_Hunni

Asked by Milani_Hunni at 2:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• i had an epidural with both my kids, i am prego with #3 and will have an epidural with that one too. i didn't even feel the needle go into my spine, they wait for a contraction to start so you feel the contraction instead...the epidural was the best thing i ever did. i doesn't effect your baby, they just don't want you to nurse for an hour afterwords, but that's when they take your baby to the nursery to be cleaned up and stuff anyways.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• drugs!!! ummm i was in labor for soooooo long and i am not kidding before they gave me medicine and it was 20 hours and i was only 3 centimeters so i knew i had a while eventually my epdural went away and into my legs so i could feel my contractions again which were very painful and i ended up pushing for 3 hours and had an emergency c section. so i was glad for the epidural i didnt have pain medicine but afterwards i did, just the epidural which was also very painful, but my son came out very healthy and he is 4 and doing great now, same with my daughter she was c section, my body wasnt made to have babies i would have died had this been a hundred years ago. I think you just need to go with what you feel, i feel robbed of going through labor the second time, and it makes me want more. your baby either way will be fine, and if your worried about the medicince read about them so you know them and are comfortable with your decis
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 2:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Natural. It was more like climbing a mountain than having a broken leg --in terms of 'pain' it was almost only physically challenging, not hurting.

It was exhausting, but I am glad I didn't use any drugs --either time. Because I got to avoid (quite accidentally) all the nasty side effects of drugs, and the procedures that become extremely likely as soon as any intervention is begun. I didn't have to overcome the effects of the drugs --I wasn't numb anywhere, I wasn't drugged and neither was my baby, my baby didn't lose half a pound in iv-weight in the first two days after birth, my baby was born with an effective sucking reflex (the opposite is a side-effect of some drugs used on mom during birth)...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:18 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I've done both.

I can say natural was the most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my life and I just so happened to have pitocin while doing it. I didn't break a sweat while in labor with no meds.

Epidural was obviously more relaxed, and I felt like I could focus more. I also feel like I remember more of it...

So, I'd probably do an epidural again, if I ever get pregnant again.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:19 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I've hd both. The first was an epidural and it failed to work.....they missed the right place iny back when they inserted the numbing needle and to this day 6 years later I feel that pain about 3 times a month. I also have terrible headaches sometimes becaise of the epidural and right after the delivery I had uncontrollable shaking as a reaction that just about scared the crap out of me and dh. My 2nd birth was completely natural and ended in a vbac. It hurt of course during the labor and words cannot describe how bad it hurts when that head starts to crown.....but it was all temporary pain. That's what I kept telling myself over and over and that got me through it. After th baby is out it's much better. With the c-sec I was in horribl pain for months. I really despise epidurals for even more reasons than I listed.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• i had the shaking too, everyone is going to have an opinion and think there way is the right way but in the end its what you are comfortable with and its ultimately your decision, i wish you and yours nothing but the best!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 2:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I was induced which from other women and doctors i have heard is more painful then regular labor.. My friend wanted to try her second delivery natural said the pain was beyond awful and will never do it again she was screaming at the nurse and everything lol.. Thumbs up on wanting to do it natural more will power then me lol.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 2:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I had a natural birth and I can't imagine having it any other way. It wasn't bad at all. I'd put the pain at like a 7 out of 10 at most of its worst moments. Transitional labor was the worst. It was about a 10, but it only lasted a few minutes (the rest of labor, before then, lasted about 3 days). Pushing was almost totally painless. More than anything, it was just uncomfortable because of all the pressure. I didn't even feel my tear or stitches because DD's head numbed me. It wasn't anything like the crap you see in movies and stuff and would have been a pleasant experience if I'd been able to give birth at home like I'd wanted (it's illegal to have an assisted home birth here, and the nearest midwives are in another state anyway), but since I was in the hospital, I didn't eat or sleep for over 2 days. They wouldn't let me eat and because nurses were coming in every few minutes, I didn't get to sleep.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:50 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I've done both. Natural 4 times, epi 1 time. plus 2 c-sections.
    Definitely the Natural births were the best and easiest.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My first was induced which does make contractions hurt worse so I also had an epidural. After the epidural I didn't hardly hurt at all. My labor/delivery was about 9 hours. My second came on his own completely natural, not even an IV or the doctor, the nurses delivered him. And again I wasn't really in all that much pain but I do have a high tolerance for pain. My labor/delivery was about 5 hours. Then, my third was induced also because the doctor wanted to be there that time and so I had an epidural again also. My labor/delivery was about 4 1/2 hours. For my next one I'm thinking about going all natural again. We'll see.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2011