Religion

I was not raised in a religious family. My mom was raised Mormon and my dad was raised Catholic. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that my brother and I were taught nothing as to religion. Sometimes it bothers me that I don't have any kind of faith as it leaves me no options of prayer or a comfort that there is something more than the crap that I am dealing with here on earth. I don't know if I even believe in a God at all. The hard part is that I WANT to believe, but I just can't. It has made it very hard to deal with the death of my grandmother who I was pretty close to growing up. It is hard to even go to her grave because, to me, she is just rotting in the ground and nothing more. It is a very empty feeling and I don't like it. I don't want this for my son, but I don't know where to ven start to get into a religion that I can practice and hopefully actually FEEL.

I know it seems like a dumb question, but what makes you believe when you can't prove it and what about your religion keeps you coming back?

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 2:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you're focusing too much on the negative aspect of it all. First off, you can't force yourself to believe something you don't believe in. To even try will make you miserable because it's a lie and you know it. So you'll need to accept what your beliefs are, or that you aren't sure what they are. Secondly, research and find what you do beleive. In regards to your grandmother dying, Yes her body is decaying in the ground, but you're being selfish and onlylooking at the fact she is no longer with you physically. You ought to reflect on her memories and the things she has passed down through the family (like recipes, or knitting, or just how she would handle a situation) and learn from it and pass that down to your own children. In this way she will never die even though she is gone.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Faith is believing in the things not seen. Its really simple, you just step into it. Faith is not a thing you strive for , it is a gift from God and everyone has been given this gift.. the key is accepting this gift as being for you.

Think of a Christmas gift, someone gives you a gift right, you believe it is a gift even though you have not opened it yet, right? Do you sit there and take a long time opening it, striving to open it or is it a quick yank of the bow and paper... yet all this time you believe it is a gift but you have not seen what is in it yet! Why do you keep opening it if you cannot see what is inside? You have faith to believe in the things not seen!
    That is how Faith is believing in the things not seen.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Its about feeling something deep down and knowing its real. Some find this to be spirituality, some religion, some science,etc.

Seeable proof isnt always an answer for things. Science doesnt have all the answers for whats going on in the universe. God doesnt have all the answers either.

The best way to know what you do or dont believe in is to study, learn, ask questions from various viewpoints(dont just go by one side).

Follow your heart and gut...they wont lead you astray.

The one thing I do know for sure is you are in charge of your spirituality. You cannot place the blame on your folks,etc anymore. We are adults and if there is something we are seeking to understand then its up to us to pull our bootstraps up and figure it out. Crying that my folks did me wrong will get you nowhere but self-pity ville and then you will never find what you seek.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• its not a dumb question at all, what you feel is just one from a blions of feelings or atitudes of human been ,and it's normal , but don't blame you parents abt there way of beleieving in God, cause every one has his own beleives and faith , i can't convince you about faith and beleives and what you said abt ur grandma that u dnt wanna go to her grave because to u her ''body'' is just rotting in the ground is not wrong too, but body is two things SOUL which is spriritual and body which is organic , your grandma still with u in ur heart nop !! how do u explane that ?! dont balme ur self if u can't have a strong beleive but just feel free and whatever u think abt God he's always here and he loves us as we are he made us
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 3:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Faith is the gift...of blindness. Right now, you see what is. But you think how nice it would be to be able to believe in an imaginary god who would take care of you and help you through difficulties. Only, when you look around you, you can't see any gods helping ANYONE. Children are being abused and murdered. Women are being beaten to a pulp by men who are SUPPOSED to love them! Birds are falling out of the skies and dying. You think that religious blinders would help. Only problem is, they won't. Religion only makes everything it touches WORSE.

Know that your grandmother is still alive in a different form. The thing at the grave isn't her--its her discarded body. God isn't an entity, but an energy force. You can make it to do or be whatever you want. Including good...or bad. It isn't what makes us the same that counts. It's what makes us different...and special. Research. Find something that fits you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:38 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Knowing God keeps me by His side. Though I fall at times, He lifts me right back up! He has shown Himself mightily in my behalf so many, many times! I love Him deeply.

I believe that when people die, they die. There bodies do rot and decay, BUT that is not the end! Some day the righteous dead will be awakened by "the voice of the archangel and the trumpet of God". (1Thessalonians 4:16) We do not receive our reward immediately upon death. Christ says He's bringing it with Him when He returns:

"He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. " (Revelation 22:11,12)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:44 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think you are in a place where religion is something you are looking for- so go out there and find one that fits you. I would attend a few services at a few churches on my own and see what feels right-then when you have made a decision- bring the family along. I would think a family oriented non-denominational church would be a good first look- Think about what you want to gain from church and then do some research on ones that look to fit that.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• You can't make yourself believe in something you don't, but you can start exploring. Read books by many different teachers, pray, meditate, and feel. Keeping a journal about your thoughts and what you've read is also very useful.  Enjoy the journey, even if you don't  know where you'll ultimately going to end up.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Religion is a set of rules set up by men. Spirituality is a personal faith relationship. I think you should explore Unitarianism. I am NOT in that religion but I admire their open-mindedness to a variety of paths. You sound like someone that won't swallow some holier-than-thou doctrine.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 3:44 PM on Jan. 9, 2011

• bump
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2011