Sleep Apnea

Is there a cure? My dh has it I am positive. I hear him stop breathing more than once a night. He snores loudly and then all of a sudden stops. I go to check him and he IS NOT breathing. A few times when he goes back into breathing he is gasping for air. He never wakes up while doing any of this. I am terrified. I know we need to see a dr, but what usually happens? Can they really do anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Health

• My husband has recently been dx with this. What they did was have him go to a sleep study, you sleep (or try too) overnight a a lab and they monitor everything! Then they send the results off to be read and the dr then will make a call on what needs to be done. Most often they get a CPAP or BIPAP machine which forces air into you so you have better oxygen concentration and can't stop breathing.

Now If I could only get hubby to use his machine, I would be one happy camper.
    Opie99

Answer by Opie99 at 4:12 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I went through a sleep study a few years back, was diagnosed with sleep apnea and was given a breathing machine with a mask that helped immensely. There are all types of masks so you can find one that's comfy (will say, though, that it does take some getting used to). When I lost some weight the need went away for me, but I have a friend who insists that it not only saved his marriage, but possibly his life. He even travels with his machine.

Go see his doctor and tell him all the symptoms. If the dr won't recommend a sleep study then find another one that does.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 4:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Yes. He needs a sleep study. He will spend the night being monitored and then he will probably have a CPAP or BiPap prescribed for him to sleep with. This will apply a continuous positive airway pressure to keep his airways open. There are far too many people out there that are on this at night. It's actually quite common. Just make sure to get him in soon...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:01 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My dad has it and i am actually the one who brought it to his attention get him to the doctor they will be able to help you guys.
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 3:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My dad has it, but he's not on any medicine to help (that I know of anyway) but he's up half the night coughing his lungs up from a surgery he got back when I was 7 years old. He doesn't sleep well at night. I'm with these other ladies, have him get a sleep study done so they can monitor his breathing patterns while he sleeps and if he has it, they can put him on something to help. Sometimes I think i have it too, once in a rare blue moon i'll wake up and literally jump out of bed gasping for air and heart racing. It could be a panic attack or something, but im too afraid to get it checked out. =/
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2011