Do you know anything interesting about your ancestors?

My ancestors were part of Clan Chattan (a group of families) that lived in Northern Scotland. They would invite their enemy to dinner and murder them before the second course.

crazycatlady66

Asked by crazycatlady66 at 5:22 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Where can you find out about your ancestory without paying an arm and a leg(free would be nice)?
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Descendant of St. Olaf, which is either funny or sad, depending what kind of mood I'm in. I consider him to be the black sheep, though I'm sure the feeling would be mutual.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:28 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

Start with Cyndi's list.  It's a compilation of a bunch of different free resources.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I found out that on my maternal g-ma's side of the family that we are related to General Stonewall Jackson. I also learned that my 4th great g-ma on my paternal g-ma's side was full Native American. (sorry, but cant remember which tribe)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:03 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• This is not a good thing either. Some of my ancestors where slave traders I heard. Whats ironic is. My DH is black(African American)

Answer by louise2 at 6:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My Uncle has been doing our family tree and according to him and his research we are supposedly direct descendants of Leif Ericson.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My ancestors were English royalty that married Spanish royalty.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 7:10 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Family members traced my Moms side of the family back to 1611, in Germany. SOME where either on my Dad's side or her side there was some one whom married a Lord or was one. Nothing too exciting!

I recently got in touch with a cousin of mine. She's 88 yrs old. Sweet southern Christian lady! She is from my Dads side. She used to work in Kentucky and my family knew the Colonel! Yep...of KFC fame. Said he was a very generous man and would bring kids from the orphanage every week to the soda shop where she worked. Colonel Sanders made sure they ate something and got  ice cream..etc.

I saw a picture of my Dad sitting on his lap when he was little. I thought it was some one dressing up AS Colonel Sanders for Halloween and my family said,'No. thats the REAL Colonel Sanders'! My cousin said he could curse like a sailor and why she wouldn't date him! Said he was a crusty old coot! LOL But he really DID enjoy kids around.
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 7:17 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• The first one in America came as a mercenary to fight in the Revolutionary War. . During this he was captured by the colonists and asked if he wanted to go to jail or fight for their side, so he did the smart thing and after the war, was given the land from Ashville, NC to the Tennessee border. We have a copy of a will that gives every son a piece of the land, and every daughter a bed and a milk cow. Every person named Cable in the US, is related to me. We have a book that's about 5" thick that we had printed about 5 years ago with all the relationships.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:20 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• My ancestor wrote the Canadian National Anthem.
    My great-grandfather was in line to buy a ticket on the Titanic, but the guy in front of him got the last one! He was so upset at the time. He really wanted to come to America on that ship. He would have been in the bottom somewhere and there is no was he would have survived when it sunk.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 7:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2011