paying off debt

I have heard alot of you talk on here about using Dave Ramsey to help with paying off debt. Have you went to classes or read the books. If so which books have you read and did they really help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• I read the Total Money Makeover and Financial Peace University. I did not take the classes. You can also listen to his podcasts or to his radio show.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Definitely The Total Money Makeover to get you started. You can check it out at the library, if they don't have it, ask them to order it for you. I never took the classes, but I completely followed his program as outlined in the book for getting out of debt. He is very motivating. There is a great group on here called Dave Ramsey Fans too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I think he also has a show on one of the cable channels.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• There is aldo David Bach that I love, his books use the same principal, so one good title is "Smart Couples Finish Rich" Lately he's had some commercials on tv as well advertising his system....but you don't need to pay money for that, these books explain very simply, and most libraries have them
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• Heck yes it works! We're two months away from being debt free!
    I would also recommend borrowing Total Money Makeover from the library. If you don't want to, sometimes Dave has it on sale at his website (DaveRamsey.com) for $10 plus shipping. From what I've see most bookstores sell it for $25 so it's usually cheaper to order online.

His class is about $100. And yes we did go. You can often times find scholarships through churches. My suggestion would be to borrow the book, read it, see what you think. If you decide to go with his plan then look into the class.

The class is NOT necessary to complete the Dave Ramsey plan. I personally found it super informative and motivating though. If you have the money and you want to go then do. If not, you can listen to archives of his show online and borrow his books from the library for free. No need to pay for it.

Dave Ramsey Fans group on CM: http://www.cafemom.com/group/3751
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2011